996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Those of you who have done the 997 front facelift....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 AM
thankswww is on a distinguished road
Moved.

Last edited by thankswww; 01-12-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thankswww
and uses the OEM 996 hood. The front bumper is custom made here in Korea, and inspired by later model GT3 cars. My particular kit uses new bolt on parts for the entire front end, including 997 rounded style hood.
Hmmm, this is very interesting. All the kits I've seen to date that keeps the existing 996 hood has the lower hood line that goes straight across evenly with the front bumper. This one seems to keep it staggered like a real 997(more realistic). I'm pretty surprised that you have such conversion places like this in Korea out of all the places. Do they still have the same high import taxes on foreign cars there? Last time I went, it was like $50k usd to buy a Ford Taurus over there. LOL

Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty surprised that you have such conversion places like this in Korea out of all the places. Do they still have the same high import taxes on foreign cars there? Last time I went, it was like $50k usd to buy a Ford Taurus over there. LOL
The conglomerates have everything stitched up, so that the price of imported goods are sky high, and thus the domestic producers can rip off the public. Korean cars, TVs, and phones are more expensive inside of Korea, than they are anywhere else in the world. A 996 C2 still costs over $34,000.

Last edited by thankswww; 11-06-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 PM
For my project:

Parts used:

FRP 997 hood
FRP 996/997 hybrid bolt on fenders
FRP MKI GT3 Style front bumper
OEN turn signals
OEM Halogen Headlights, with HID kit added
Urethane OEM style front lip

Last edited by thankswww; 01-12-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
It looks like it's coming along nicely !! Any suspension upgrades during this time ?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
It seems getting that door gap perfect is the most tedious part of this conversion. Really surprising the initial fitment of the conversion fenders have little to be desired. Which conversion fenders are you using? PM me if you want.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Holdem will become famous soon enough
It seems getting that door gap perfect is the most tedious part of this conversion. Really surprising the initial fitment of the conversion fenders have little to be desired. Which conversion fenders are you using? PM me if you want.
Parts used:

FRP 997 hood
FRP 996/997 hybrid bolt on fenders
FRP MKI GT3 Style front bumper
OEN turn signals
OEM Halogen Headlights, with HID kit added
Urethane OEM style front lip
I would think a router would easily make a perfect gap for the fender/door panel. thankswww mentioned using FRP fenders, I believe that would be Duraflex or something similar.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Frp

...Fiberglass or FRP?
Don’t be fooled, Fiberglass and FRP are the same product. Some companies have tried to deceive people by implying that "FRP" is some sort of new highly flexible space age product. FRP stands for Fiber Reinforced Plastic, which is simply the non-trademarked name for fiberglass. Fiberglass resin is a form of plastic. Any material that has strands, cloth or mats and resins to make up their structure are called composites....
by Karl Lawley
Found this description of FRP online.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm not using "Duraflex" fenders. I actually used to deal with so-called Duraflex parts when they first came out in the early 2000's. It's no special product really, just a different kind of fiberglass resin and gel coat that cures cooler and is easier to bend. It doesn't cost any more to make.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
One should never buy a fiberglass part and expect it to just bolt right on flawlessly. That is wishful thinking in the extreme. One should also not expect the entire front end conversion of a car to be a pain free and simple process. That is also wishful thinking. It's as custom a project as any. It's like building a hot rod body or fiberglass boat shell. There will be lots of cutting, and smoothing and re-glassing and sanding etc.
I disagree with this somewhat. Nowadays, majority of the companies make sub standard or sloppy parts in volume with little attention to detail for the sake of profit. I have used frp parts in the past with very minimal prep and ready to bolt on on numerous occasions. If you buy reputable brands, there are frp parts that do bolt on with little to no prep work.

I would expect conversion fenders that cost $1600 a pair to fit better out of the box than what you have pictured.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Maybe a $4900 Gemballa front bumper fits nicely with little work, but an entire fiberglass front end that cost less than that will always require some detail work.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 PM
I am in the beginning of converting a 04 996 C2 Cab with FRP/Fiberglass fenders. I was quoted $4,500 for steel conversion fenders/rails, not including tax and shipping. The fiberglass fenders are over $4,000 less!

Using OEM 997 parts: turbo bumper/led's/grills/fog/lip, Xenon headlghts, and an aluminum turbo hood.

Thanks for sharing your project www! Can't wait to see the results.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Well alpine003, since most of your replies to other threads are overwhelmingly negative, I don't think we'd expect any different from you. You sound like a sellers nightmare. Please do everyone a favor and don't buy any fiberglass parts. I'm sure the vendors on this board would appreciate NOT having your business.

Your expectations are a fantasy. They are a joke. Furthermore, if you spend $1600 on a pair of fiberglass fenders, you are insane.

Maybe a $4900 Gemballa front bumper fits nicely with little work, but an entire fiberglass front end that cost less than that will always require some detail work.
This is so funny in many ways but I'll try to remain civil.

If you look at my past posts, I like to think I have helped out more than I've criticized. I don't believe in being mean but I do believe in constructive criticism. You know what they say, if you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, get out. If you post anything on the forums, it is automatically a given that you are going to be varied responses. That is just the nature of it. I didn't earn my rep points for being an a$$hole btw.

As for a seller's nightmare, that is far from the truth. I've regulary sell off eBay and have probably sold close to $10k last year. I don't like nit picky buyers and try everything I can as a seller to disclose as much info so even the pickiest buyers are satisfied. Because of being on the opposite fence, I tend to give a lot of slack as a buyer.

I'm not saying all fiberglass parts are bad and as long as one has the expectations that some level of prep work is required, I don't see an issue. I do have an issue though with FRP parts that are not accurately described or cost a decent amount having some basic fundamental flaws in them.

$1600 is what I was quoted by your Jeffrey of Xtreme motor cars. LOL. So unless you got a five finger discount or are in bed with him, that is what he charges for these fenders that you're using. One can argue your insane for spending all that money to make your 996 look like a 997. What is that saying pot kettle black or something?

I have spent the extra $ for FRP parts in the past from companies like Mugen, MA Shaw, etc. and luckily for me, they needed very to little prep work.

I've also bought a used 996 OEM GT3 rear wing and you know those are FRP, right?

I don't really understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch unless you have some business affiliation with Xtreme motor cars.

Bottom line, they sold you fenders that needs some work and your body guy is taking care of it to make it look top notch. end of story. The end result will still be the same regardless.