996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cost to have front brake pads & rotors replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Cost to have front brake pads & rotors replaced

Curious what is a fair price to have the front brake pads and rotors replaced? During a tech inspection, the Porsche dealer mentioned it will probably need to be done after my DE event this weekend. I was quoted around $900, which seems high to me but this is my first Porsche ('03 996 Cab) and wasn't really sure what the going rate is. Much appreciated!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I've been quoted between $700 and $800 in the past.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
If you look at a site like Suncoast Parts for the needed items, you'll find that parts can be had for the following prices:

Front rotor set: $325.46
Front brake pads: $150.56
Sensors (not needed if your warning light hasn't been activated yet): $39.50
Front caliper spring kit: $25.81
Caliper bolt: $3.20 x4
Front brake pad damper: $24.00 x2

All this adds up to a total of $576.32 for the parts. If you add in a couple of hours for the labor, then a quote of $900 is in the ballpark. You may be able to find somebody to do it for a little less, but it won't be a significant amount.

FWIW, brake work is pretty easy on these cars. You might consider a DIY job. Also, don't neglect your brake fluid. It needs to be changed every two years at a minimum, even more if you're going to the track for DE events or to autocross events.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM
150shot is on a distinguished road
How do you know if you should replace rotors as well? Mine dont shimmy at all still but I havent changed em out for at least a few years since I've owned the car..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You can measure them with a caliper and see if they are still within spec. I typically go through two sets of pads for every rotor change. The specs are available on www.renntech.org.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM
bornrich is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 150shot
How do you know if you should replace rotors as well? Mine dont shimmy at all still but I havent changed em out for at least a few years since I've owned the car..
The rotors need to be measured for thickness. Porsche rotors tend to only last as long os the pads for daily driving. If you have changed pads more than once I'd have the rotors checked. If they get to be too thin they will not hold up and may crack or worse come apart. Brakes are something to try to save money on.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys. Not sure if I need the rotors. The dealer said they automatically do it. I'm going to an Indy who quoted considerably less. He also said the rotors typically don't need to be done as often as the pads.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
If you need everything, including rotors, that's a good price. Unless you're a brake expert, or never go over 50 mph, let a professional do the job. The price is average and not high at all. If you're not sure, get a second inspection.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Swapping rotors and brake pads on 911 is relatively easy. It was harder on my Tacoma. If
You have the tools and good with your hands it is a great DIY project. And you save $$$.
Saying you need to be an brake expert to replace your pads and rotors is like saying you need to be a electrical expert to change the battery.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bornrich
Saying you need to be an brake expert to replace your pads and rotors is like saying you need to be a electrical expert to change the battery.
Hmmm....Let me know what happens when your battery cable comes off at 90 mph........not much. Brakes on the other hand...

Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
If a person has good mechanical ability brakes are one of the easier things to do yourself.I have been turning my own wrenches for thirty years and will try anything with the right tools and a good manual lol.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Hmmm....Let me know what happens when your battery cable comes off at 90 mph........not much. Brakes on the other hand...
Yea true,if you have no confidense in your mechanical ability,whether you are working on your brakes, changing your battery, or replacing floor mats, then you should go to the dealing and pay threw the nose. You know the floor mat might slide up and jam the throttle.

Last edited by bornrich; 09-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
brwiedman will become famous soon enough
Lift the front of the car and do only one side at a time. The other brake will be your pattern. That is the only advise you need. Unless you have never seen a 10 mm socket and ratchet then leave it to a mechanic. Otherwise DO THE JOB YOURSELF. This is SO easy. If you need a hand get your mom to help. That's how easy it is to do. Take your time. I can do a brake in 10 minutes but if this is your first time TAKE YOUR TIME.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Thx for the input. Didn't realize it was so simple. Next time ill do it myself. I'm fairly mechanical. Problem was get free time to get it done prior to going to the track this weekend. New pads and a fluid flush for 300 from a local Indy. No need for rotors with only 37k miles. That was the stealers suggestion.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
If you are doing a lot of DE events, this might be a good opportunity to upgrade your braking setup: Stainless Steel brake lines, paget pads, racing fluid, and cross drilled rotors might be an idea. Make sure you find a safe and empty stretch of pavement to bed your pads properly to the rotors after the work is completed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cost to have front brake pads & rotors replaced