996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DIY Porsche Roof Transport System (making my own bars and mounts)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Saibot is on a distinguished road
DIY Porsche Roof Transport System (making my own bars and mounts)

Note: I never followed through with this project. Instead, i just bought an OEM Roof Rack.

Ive searched the far corners of the world (wide web), traveled through many pages of useless information, and battled popups unbeknownst to the average man to finally end up here.

And so begins the second leg of my journey. To make my own roof rack!

My car should be back from the shop this week and this shall be my journal on making my own roof rack bars! I plan on taking the car snowboarding in the far reaches of the Laurentian mountains in Quebec so i need something to transport my gear.

Ive done some research already and it seems that the OEM porsche roof transport system (which costs like 500 bucks + tax for two pieces of aluminum!; what a ripoff) mounts to each roof point by a simple screw. I plan on having a piece of foam under my custom "feet" to prevent paint from getting scratched and then somehow screwing a mounting bracket to the factory mount holes. Then ill attach cross bars; drill into a cargo snowboard carrier (can get a used one for like 200 bucks) or whatnot and wala!

Now i dont want the box to be mounted too far forward or it'll look more like a beetle. I want it offset towards the rear of the car, where the roof slopes down so its more sleek. I may add support points on my aftermarket GT2 spoiler; kind of like Jon olsson

This should be simple. Ill update this thread as i make progress. I expect to have this project done within a month.

Now, some additional motivation:

Any tips or advice from owners of the OEM system?

Last edited by Saibot; 10-16-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Some opinions needed: which one looks better (all are photoshopped; but with perfect proportions)

Last edited by Saibot; 11-04-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I would think that you would want to avoid one where the bottom is not level. Such a configuration could create a lot of lift at speeds.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
i just use my Ski Attatchment in the Winter to head to the Hills

and a Basket on Road Trips :P

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
I vote for the 5th picture down - seems the most level and stable, although you might be able to see the front of the carrier as it overhangs the windshield.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
zeeeeeee is on a distinguished road
I like the 4th from the top

Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
kromdom is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by leftlane
I vote for the 5th picture down - seems the most level and stable.

Me too

Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys, i think im gona do but placed a little further back.

Should have my car by the end of the week

Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Balloonmeister is on a distinguished road
Can you plz provide me info on the "basket" you have?
Thanx,
Harry

Originally Posted by Dan@SCB
i just use my Ski Attatchment in the Winter to head to the Hills

and a Basket on Road Trips :P

Old 08-29-2014, 05:29 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
What Dan has looks great. The others - not so much. Most of the time a cheap out, looks like a cheap out - and is generally less safe. Go with OEM.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Balloonmeister is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by denversteve
What Dan has looks great. The others - not so much. Most of the time a cheap out, looks like a cheap out - and is generally less safe. Go with OEM.
DenverSteve: I agree. But it looks like Dan has attached some sort of basket onto the OEM Roof Transport System. I'm looking for a way to carry two tires on the roof using the OEM RTS as a start. I've looked in the Porsche catalog and don't see any type of system to actually hold the tires though, just ski, bike, etc. types of racks.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Balloonmeister
DenverSteve: I agree. But it looks like Dan has attached some sort of basket onto the OEM Roof Transport System. I'm looking for a way to carry two tires on the roof using the OEM RTS as a start. I've looked in the Porsche catalog and don't see any type of system to actually hold the tires though, just ski, bike, etc. types of racks.
My comment is meant for the OP. His thread, his questions, his answers. Dan may PM you or answer your different question. There are plenty of baskets available that fit crossbars.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
This is the Basket on my roof guys http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104421

Its a OEM VW Part Number, unfortunately it has been discontinued...

Last edited by Zookie; 08-30-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Subscribed! Zookie, great looking ride. Too bad the oems were discontinued.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:01 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
Bringing up an old thread, did this custom transport system ever see the light of day? Would love a DIY.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Porsche Roof Transport System (making my own bars and mounts)