996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Conversion TIME 996--->997/996 Turbo Facelift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM
brwiedman will become famous soon enough
Hey Holdem

Just wondering.... are you a body man by trade? I really like the adventure you are partaking in. When I hear of you fellows out there doing stuff like this I wonder what kind of training you have. I change my oil and brakes and the few items that require wrenches BUT to "cut and weld" WOW! Good for you

Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Holdem will become famous soon enough
Just wondering.... are you a body man by trade? I really like the adventure you are partaking in. When I hear of you fellows out there doing stuff like this I wonder what kind of training you have. I change my oil and brakes and the few items that require wrenches BUT to "cut and weld" WOW! Good for you
No formal training. Twenty to thirty years ago I restored/customized late 60's, early 70's muscle cars as a hobby. I am not a welder, have a local friend who is.

Started researching this conversion idea months before I purchased the 911. Had acquired most of the parts before I had the car.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Holdem
See:
996 TWIN TURBO TRUNK TO NARROW BODY C2 HOW TO FIT PORSCHE 911 TURBO WING TO NARROW BODY C2

at:

http://996trunk.blogspot.com/
I think I'd go with an aftermarket rear spoiler, or leave the 996 spoiler in place.

The guy who did the conversion of the turbo rear decklid and spoiler posted it on rennlist too. It looks like it needs pretty serious modification, and it doesn't sit correctly.

It's just my opinion, but that conversion doesn't look right.

Can you put a 997 C2 rear decklid on a 996? Just curious...

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Can you put a 997 C2 rear decklid on a 996? Just curious...
Not sure what it would take to fit a 997 rear decklid on a 996.

I think I'd go with an aftermarket rear spoiler, or leave the 996 spoiler in place.
I have already acquired a complete OEM turbo 996 decklid/spoiler and a 997 turbo wing for less than half or even one third the cost of an aftermarket rear spoiler. Both require fitment/installation/prep. I prefer OEM when possible.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Cut new rails from stainless. Cut all four fenders. Checking existing brackets for fenders.

One bracket issue, need to extend forward upper bracket from tub approximately 3.5 inches to match 997 fender bolt. Making brackets and welding fenders tomorrow.

Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I'm in awe of people who can do this. Great project!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm in awe of people who can do this. Great project!
Thanks, but the real credit is to all the others who have shared their experiences on this forum and others.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Update

Both fenders have been cut and welded. Check out the perfect line between the door and fender.

Had to fabricate a forward upper bracket, see pic. Other bracket (rod) next to the radiator bottom works great.

Turbo rear bumper is much larger than C2 stock bumper. As stated in other threads/forums the rear turbo bumper will fit with some modifications:
- Bumper needs to be shimmed a little over a 1/4 inch near the rear
decklid cover, see pic. Has not yet been shimmed! Will post future
pics afterwards.
- Pulled the upper corners forward into the wheel well. Needs to have a
little over 1/2 inch cut off, additional cuts/welds required in the bumper.
Will post detailed pics later this week on the bumper mods.

Rear exhaust tips need to be modified, placement on turbo bumper is inward toward the center.

Anyone considering an OEM rear turbo upgrade on their C2 should remember that turbo bumperettes and mounting brackets for the bumperettes are necessary.

Attached Images      
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like its coming along. That weld line is a new one and I must say very surprised that the wheel opening lines line up to each other. Great job and definitely saves on having to reshape the door/fender line area as others had to do.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 PM
That weld line is a new one and I must say very surprised that the wheel opening lines line up to each other.
We decided to maintain the original fasteners/996 fender near the door. The weld is longer, however the blend into the door and fender arch seems much better.
Maintaining the original fender bottom make it easier to source the side skirts for fitment. Currently undecided between the GT3 or TK (line runs up into the door) side skirts.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Holiday slow down

Current progress:

997 hinges do not lay flat; hinges step upward towards the rear. Fabricated mounts out of stainless to weld into place. 997 hinge struts are needed as well, they are about an inch longer, opening the hood higher.

A couple pics of lines coming together with fenders, bumper, and hood. Everything is lining up perfectly.

Attached Images    
Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Was this ever completed? About to take on the same project myself.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Glad you asked!

Out of commission due to a serious back injury, just recently got back on my feet. Currently driving!

Car progress is as follows;
-Fenders welded in place and fitted.
-Hood in place
-Headlights in place and rewired using existing plug
-Side markers
-Front Bumper fitted with LED's, Fogs, & Grills
-996 Turbo rear bumper in place
-c4s exhaust pipes and tips

To be completed
-Turbo 996 rear decklid OEM with hydraulics
-Turbo 997 rear Wing OEM (larger, wider than 996)
-Turbo 997 mirrors
-GT2 Side skirts
-body/prep/paint stock silver

19" RPK-065 or Roderick RW5 wheels & 305/30 & 235/35's. Still undecided on the wheels. Open to suggestions/experiences/etc.

Included a few pics:

Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Fixed wing for 996 turbo decklid was my choice since I wanted to keep the stock airbox.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-wing-c2.html

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Holdem
Out of commission due to a serious back injury, just recently got back on my feet. Currently driving!
Do you have any more pics of the rear bumper? Also what is your opinion on the fitment. I know people bend the ends in to fit but I assume the rear middle will be somewhat bowed out and not fully seated against the inner bumper beam?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Conversion TIME 996--->997/996 Turbo Facelift