996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Krillmcrall
Hey Krazy,

Oh my. Have I been looking through the web for alias CARI and his iPad install.

Lo and behold, months later, I stumbled across his great work on a german site. Have a look, and use google translate if you don't speak german. In any case, the pictures speak for themselves.

I'm probably doing the same setup, slightly modified, creating a CAD and printing the whole mold in 3D rather than using fibreglass. But we'll see. If you want to share ideas and bash problems around, just write me...

Check out the link at:

http://www.pff.de/porsche/board104-p....html?0506cf7a

Best,
KrillMcRall
awesome find! pm sent to you.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 AM
Krillmcrall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
awesome find! pm sent to you.
Obviously can't PM you back due to lack of posts... so here's the reply;

Yeah, I was so lucky when I stumbled across it... Reading the forum in German he says himself he's using magnets to hold the mini in place. He haven't taken any pictures of it though... Guess thats the best way to get it going.

I'm thinking more or less exactly what you're doing, except I'm thinking of putting the stereo (the bit that you need to get sound out of the damn thing) behind the ipad, something with half-depth and no cd, bluetooth, charger for the ipad etc.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10288833.aspx

Know nothing of CAD or 3D printing so will have to go to a shop somewhere and make them create the pattern and print it, get everything tidy, and then I'll just put the pieces together. Voila.

Will share my progress definitely, not sure when though as this is a long term project-ish.
Are you in a 996 or 986?

Best,
Kriss

Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Krillmcrall
Obviously can't PM you back due to lack of posts... so here's the reply;

Yeah, I was so lucky when I stumbled across it... Reading the forum in German he says himself he's using magnets to hold the mini in place. He haven't taken any pictures of it though... Guess thats the best way to get it going.

I'm thinking more or less exactly what you're doing, except I'm thinking of putting the stereo (the bit that you need to get sound out of the damn thing) behind the ipad, something with half-depth and no cd, bluetooth, charger for the ipad etc.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10288833.aspx

Know nothing of CAD or 3D printing so will have to go to a shop somewhere and make them create the pattern and print it, get everything tidy, and then I'll just put the pieces together. Voila.

Will share my progress definitely, not sure when though as this is a long term project-ish.
Are you in a 996 or 986?

Best,
Kriss
996 turbo ,03 with thin cup holder. i will only need 2 of the switch holders and the wiper delay. all of my other switches are disconnected or no longer used. tbtunes@bellsouth.net is my email. let me know if you need my pieces for the design. be happy to ship them as long as i get them back

Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
What is the trick to start playing from the last song played, it always starts at the same song?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:13 PM
BruceH is on a distinguished road
Not sure there is a trick. I assume you are talking iTunes music? I shut down the car, when I start back up, it plays right where I left off, even mid song. I didn't do anything special.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Yes music own music saved in playlists, I wonder if I have some settings on the stereo or Ipad that is screwing it up.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 PM
When you turn the care off, does the music pause on the iPad? My iPad is connected to the HU which cuts the power to the iPad, causing it to pause.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Modaholic
No its set to shut down as soon as power is cut from stereo.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 AM
33jacket is on a distinguished road
pretty cool!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by dutch86
Question that I may have just missed the answer to in the 20 some pages.

Is there a wiring adapter that needs to be purchased for the CDR-220 to the Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS? I imagine it is not a straight plug and play, right?

Just purchased my ipad an radio tonight. Anxiously awaiting their arrival.

Thanks to everyone for their documentation on everything so far!
This is what I bought:
Amazon.com : Metra 70-1787 Radio Wiring Harness for VW/Audi Bose Integration 1993-2007 : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra 70-1787 Radio Wiring Harness for VW/Audi Bose Integration 1993-2007 : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics

Amazon.com : Scosche Vwa-Kb Volkswagen Antenna Adapter Kit : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Scosche Vwa-Kb Volkswagen Antenna Adapter Kit : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics

Take a look at the Pelican article for the correct pins, I had to make some changes to the adapter for everything to hook up correctly. Wayne makes it pretty simple to figure out.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Here is the link to the Pelican Tech article:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...io_Install.htm

Have fun! I still love mine after having it for almost a year now.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dutch86
Question that I may have just missed the answer to in the 20 some pages.

Is there a wiring adapter that needs to be purchased for the CDR-220 to the Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS? I imagine it is not a straight plug and play, right?
On my '04 996 (no Bose), and driving the speakers directly from the head unit (no additional amp), I used the the Metra 70-1784 for wiring and Metra 40-VW12 Antenna Adapter. About $5 each on Amazon... The other Metra adapter looks like it is wired to RCA plugs instead of speaker leads, so perhaps it would be a good choice if you are trying to interface with an existing or new amp.

BruceH, from the picture on the Amazon link, the antenna adapter you listed looks opposite of what you would need if you wanted to use the OEM Porsche antenna with the Pioneer head unit... it looks like it's designed to allow a conventional antenna (US style) to plug into a euro style radio antenna port.

[Update: The Pelican article says that Scosche antenna adapter actually comes with two adapters... US to Euro style, and Euro to US style. The picture doesn't show this, and neither does the description, so I'd verify that before ordering it)

Last edited by pfbz; 09-08-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Also...

It's been a while (almost two years) since I created this thread. While the Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS is still an o.k. choice, I have absolutely no need for the CD player. Since I did my install, pioneer has come out with a couple of 'Digital Media Receivers' (aka 'mechless' receiver'). Essentially the same as the 9500 but without the CD transport mechanism, and a slightly bigger display. Cheaper as well.

I'd take the MVH-X560BT. About $100 on Amazon.

Last edited by pfbz; 09-08-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:28 PM
cowboyzx6 is on a distinguished road
If a backup camera could be integrated into this, I would be all over it!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 PM
I put the microphone on the steering wheel surround right below the gauge cluster. I have my mini locked so I always have to enter my pin so I can't help with that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]