996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dutch86
Okay, so I've had the iPad in my car for a couple of months now, and I absolutely love it. Two questions for others who have been there. 1) Where did you wire the microphone for the Bluetooth capable head unit? Has anyone wired it to the actual microphone area in our cars? Is this difficult? 2) Is there a way to have the app that was last running fire up when I start the car up? I pretty much only use the Waze app and control the music through the head unit. Thanks in advance. This is a great and relatively easy mod.
mounted my Mike on the upper left a pillar. Works great, can carry on a conversation with the top down no problem. I assume you have jail broken you mini? Actuator app will let you cut it off / on with the ignition. It will also let you power on in the last app you were using.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:30 PM
BruceH is on a distinguished road
Thanks Rob! Any pics of where the mic itself lives? Is there an airbag to worry about in the pillar?

I have jailbroken the mini and have the Actuator app set up to lock and unlock it when the car starts (when ipad gets power). May have to look and see if there are additional settings.
Here are shots of my mic. No problems using with the top down, seems to be a good location. I guess I should have dusted before taking the pic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (449.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Rob! Any pics of where the mic itself lives? Is there an airbag to worry about in the pillar? I have jailbroken the mini and have the Actuator app set up to lock and unlock it when the car starts (when ipad gets power). May have to look and see if there are additional settings.
Should be no issue with the airbag. The wire is to the side. Here is a pic. Name:  image-4159523671.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  381.9 KB

Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Should be no issue with the airbag. The wire is to the side. Here is a pic. Attachment 414537

What colour interior is this. Inside the garage with a flash it has a greenish look and im curious to know what interior gives this illusion?

Old 02-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
1) Where did you wire the microphone for the Bluetooth capable head unit? Has anyone wired it to the actual microphone area in our cars? Is this difficult?
I put mine in right in the actual microphone area just to the left of the instrument cluster. I'll see if I have some pics.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM
I think BruceH's mic location is better for actual sound but I wanted mine to look as stock as possible.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM
2) Is there a way to have the app that was last running fire up when I start the car up? I pretty much only use the Waze app and control the music through the head unit.
Dutch, this can definitely be done. Check back in the first few pages of this thread. I think I discussed it with pfbz when I first did mine.

Edit: Look around posts 60 - 80.

Last edited by Diesel117; 02-20-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by UrsaMinor1
What colour interior is this. Inside the garage with a flash it has a greenish look and im curious to know what interior gives this illusion?
Its Savnna Beige not sure why it looks green?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:29 AM
BruceH is on a distinguished road
Thank you both! What did you use an adhesive? Is there something that won't ruin whatever surface it's on?

Ursa, I believe it is Savannah Beige.
If I remember correctly, the mic had a self adhesive on it. The surround is just plastic so it should be fairly durable whenever the time comes to remove the mic.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by BruceH
If I remember correctly, the mic had a self adhesive on it. The surround is just plastic so it should be fairly durable whenever the time comes to remove the mic.
mine has a clip that slides down behind the a pillar.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Osh
Osh is on a distinguished road
Good afternoon guys from England,

I’ve just sat and read every word of this thread and loved it.

So I have a 2003 996 C4S Cab/Manual and I have been searching the web for something like this BUT I’m not a fan of the Dark-Side and want to do this with an Android tablet (a Nexus or similar) – has anyone done this at all…??

In my car I have the PCM2 double-din with Bose speakers, amp and MOST connected via the optical lead. My main question is: Can I remove the PCM2 and not bother with an Alpine or Pioneer head unit and just connect a Droid pad straight through to the amp and Bose speakers…?? If I can get that set up and have power to the Droid pad I’d then Bluetooth my Sony Android phone to the Droid pad and run connectivity for a DAB radio and Sat Nav….

Would that work…??

I’m no spanners-man (wrench) and I’m even worse as a Sparky (electrician) so I’d probably hire someone to do this for me; but I’d love to get this done.

Thanks for reading guys and any help would be truly appreciated

Have a great day

Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Osh

So I have a 2003 996 C4S Cab/Manual and I have been searching the web for something like this BUT I’m not a fan of the Dark-Side and want to do this with an Android tablet (a Nexus or similar) – has anyone done this at all…??

In my car I have the PCM2 double-din with Bose speakers, amp and MOST connected via the optical lead. My main question is: Can I remove the PCM2 and not bother with an Alpine or Pioneer head unit and just connect a Droid pad straight through to the amp and Bose speakers…?? If I can get that set up and have power to the Droid pad I’d then Bluetooth my Sony Android phone to the Droid pad and run connectivity for a DAB radio and Sat Nav….

Would that work…??

I’m no spanners-man (wrench) and I’m even worse as a Sparky (electrician) so I’d probably hire someone to do this for me; but I’d love to get this done.

Have a great day
Luke im your father get an iPad mini!!😄

Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Osh
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Luke im your father get an iPad mini!!😄

LMAO!!

Osh

Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Osh

Would that work…??

Have a great day
I have read a thread somewhere where one wired an iPad mini to an amp so I am sure it can be done. Now I just have to remember where I saw that thread...

I think the OP, pfbz even discuss this in his first post.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Osh
Originally Posted by Diesel117
I have read a thread somewhere where one wired an iPad mini to an amp so I am sure it can be done. Now I just have to remember where I saw that thread...

I think the OP, pfbz even discuss this in his first post.
Hi Diesel,

if there is any way of getting a link to that thread i'd love to see it...

Regards

Osh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]