996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Johnstof is on a distinguished road
I just researched the tranzit blu hf a little. Seems like it will display song titles from my ipad on the cdr23 head unit. And it seems I can skip songs with the head unit controls. Nice.

I watched a video from isimple solutions and the guy had to hold the power button for six seconds to turn it on. Is that correct? Not a big fan of that idea. I'd prefer not to use that button at all. The video guy also used that button to initiate voice commands. I'd rather just tuck it behind the dash and use the ipad home button to initiate voice commands.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Slopeslider is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Johnstof
Do you know if the audio quality from a Bluetooth connection is as good as thru the lightning plug?

I guess wiring a USB cigarette plug into the switched 12v line should be fairly straightforward.

I know you used this device for connecting your phone. Nice way to talk hands free. But I guess using it for the ipad would be fine too.

Solves the lack of RDS issue.
Quality is as good as any BT set-up I have heard.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 PM

I just researched the tranzit blu hf a little. Seems like it will display song titles from my ipad on the cdr23 head unit. And it seems I can skip songs with the head unit controls. Nice.

I watched a video from isimple solutions and the guy had to hold the power button for six seconds to turn it on. Is that correct? Not a big fan of that idea. I'd prefer not to use that button at all. The video guy also used that button to initiate voice commands. I'd rather just tuck it behind the dash and use the ipad home button to initiate voice commands.
After initial set-up is all automatic. You can hold the button down to initiate Siri.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Stebuga is on a distinguished road
Hello to all of you, again.
I enjoyed my Ipad mini this summer a lot, even if I consider the actual fit, with the old Aiwa unit, a temporary one.
Despite of that, I have a problem: I founded out some days ago that a Durametric cable I bought didn't work well on my car (he didn't recognize all the modules), so I went yesterday to a Porsche service in order to test my car with PIWIS and they told me that it was impossible BECAUSE PORSCHE PCM WAS REMOVED! I can't believe that all of you accept that it is impossible to perform a regular diagnostic procedure to your cars :-O.
Maybe there is a way out? HELP!!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
My Durametric works like a champ.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Stebuga is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
My Durametric works like a champ.
Great! So we have only to understand where is the difference between my car and yours: did you disconnect the PCM and leaved the connectors "as they are"? I changed also the original AMP with another one, removed the cd changer and installed other speakers, but I can' t image this is the problem...

Old 09-10-2015, 09:09 AM
mannn is on a distinguished road
Hi guys... I am trying to install the Tranzit BLU HF... I am kinda stuck with this right now. Pulled the factory radio as well as the CD storage and cubby box, however I don't know where and how to fish the wire... It seems the bottom stack can't be fished directly up to where the factory radio is.
For the guys that installed this, where do you put the module itself and how did you route your antenna connection? TIA!

this is how much i have pulled.. do i need to pull out more stuff to fish the wire?

Last edited by mannn; 09-10-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:34 PM

All the wires should pull down with no problem. I have my HVAC controls on the bottom and the radio in the bin just above. The Tranzit unit is mounted near the switched power in the bottom of the center stack below where the cubbies are. The antennae wire will fish through with no problem.

Originally Posted by mannn
Hi guys... I am trying to install the Tranzit BLU HF... I am kinda stuck with this right now. Pulled the factory radio as well as the CD storage and cubby box, however I don't know where and how to fish the wire... It seems the bottom stack can't be fished directly up to where the factory radio is.
For the guys that installed this, where do you put the module itself and how did you route your antenna connection? TIA!

this is how much i have pulled.. do i need to pull out more stuff to fish the wire?

Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Dean Clark is on a distinguished road
I have been trying hard to accomplish!

My stereo guys, who are really really good, are also, really really shy about messing with my low milage car and the factory carbon fibber horseshoe. I told them we can get a new plastic horseshoe for cheap but they are still kind of pensive. Your install is puzzling me. It looks clean and it looks like you can remove the iPad which we haven't been able to figure out. Can we talk or can I pay you to make me a horseshoe like yours in carbon? I'd like to go with the non-head unit solution if possible with hands free bluetooth! I have a JL amp already installed, an iPad mini which I've already used in my STI and loved, and JL speakers. The fitment seems to be the biggest challenge and I really despise after market head units.

Thanks,

Dean!!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Johnstof is on a distinguished road
Complete and Fantastic

I completed my install about two months ago. Love it. Looks like it was always meant to be there. Special thanks to Slopeslider. There are several varieties of installs here but I wanted to keep my OEM head unit and chose the Tranzit Blu HD as Slopeslider recommended. My set up is modeled closely after his.

I love it. Works seamlessly and sounds great.

Now... Is there a way to avoid or minimize battery drain when car is off? Mine either goes to sleep or locks when I turn off the car. I tried both. But over the course of a night it drains down nearly 10%. Driving for 30 minutes a day charges it up a bit but not nearly 10%. So in less than two weeks I have to remove a panel, grab the lightning cable, and plug it into an extension cord to house power. Not ideal.

Is there a better setting thru activator to resolve this?

Interestingly when I listen to the ESPN Radio app then shut the car off the ipad goes black but the audio switches over from my car speakers to the ipad speaker. In other words, the ipad is not asleep. That's my clue something is not set right. Audio from other apps such as pandora do not do this.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 PM
I completed my install about two months ago. Love it. Looks like it was always meant to be there. Special thanks to Slopeslider. There are several varieties of installs here but I wanted to keep my OEM head unit and chose the Tranzit Blu HD as Slopeslider recommended. My set up is modeled closely after his.

I love it. Works seamlessly and sounds great.

Now... Is there a way to avoid or minimize battery drain when car is off? Mine either goes to sleep or locks when I turn off the car. I tried both. But over the course of a night it drains down nearly 10%. Driving for 30 minutes a day charges it up a bit but not nearly 10%. So in less than two weeks I have to remove a panel, grab the lightning cable, and plug it into an extension cord to house power. Not ideal.

Is there a better setting thru activator to resolve this?

Interestingly when I listen to the ESPN Radio app then shut the car off the ipad goes black but the audio switches over from my car speakers to the ipad speaker. In other words, the ipad is not asleep. That's my clue something is not set right. Audio from other apps such as pandora do not do this.
Glad to help. I ran into a similar battery drain issue. Look in actuator, there is a setting to turn on airplane mode when power disconnects and then switches it off when the key powers it on. That should really reduce / eliminate the battery drain.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:08 PM
olwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of light
Speaker wire hookup

I have a 2001 with the amplifier (no B-plug on the PCM1). I bought a Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS receiver and a Metra 70-1787 harness. However, even after reading through this whole wonderful thread I am confused: Should I plug the RCA plugs on the Metra connector into the Pioneer, or cut off the wires and use the line outputs on the Pioneer to feed the amplifier?

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
lowe, it's been a long time but I know you don't have to "cut" any wires. I remember moving a few around but you can do that with molex tools or a really small flat head screwdriver. Smal as in #0000. Look up molex tools. You "punch" out the connector slowly and just plug it back in the new location. (If needed).

I have three tools... Markings say "Waldom Electronics W-HT-2038 Extractor, "Waldom Electronics W-HT-2285 Extractor", and "WHT 1884".

I'll upload pics soon. I'm sure there are other tools for the job.

Brian

Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Even with these tools they can sometimes be fun to get out off the molex connectors.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm lying...even with the tools they are still almost always a bit&h. Lol. But you can still go back to stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]