996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
I'm gathering the items to get this done. I currently have a 2din Nav in the upper on sole and an open pocket above the HVAC controls in the lower console. What do I need to install a radio in the open pocket?
Are you using the stock radio or an after market? With the stock radio the wiring harness is a bit short, so you will need to remove the upper center console to install. While the console is out you will need to dremel out some small fins on the sides toward the back on each side of the console that will prevent the radio from sliding in all the way. Once that is done, your radio should slide in place and wil not move unless you pull it very hard straight out.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
Looks great!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
PFBZ,

When will the headunit switch automatically between the iPad and iPhone (Bluetooth) when a call comes in? When the conversation ends does it revert back to the iPad?
Sorry for the delayed response... been traveling.

Yes, the pioneer will switch seamlessly when a call comes in.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Diesel117
pfbz, Can you post the link or source to the wallpaper in your first photo?

Code:
http://www.darelparker.com/dp/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Porsche-Carbon-Fiber-1440x900.png

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-Carbon-Fiber-1440x900.jpg
Views:	3594
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	237763  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Another...

Code:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ewe5F7ZReVI/USeFwVWwVqI/AAAAAAAACPA/9uoEvrjUUn0/s1600/Porsche-Logo-AT-4.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-Logo-AT-4.jpg
Views:	3455
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	237766  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
pfbz, thanks for the wallpaper. How has the power charging been with the jailbroken mini? Is it sufficient or do you have to pull the unit and charge with a wall charger every once in a while? I found your Pioneer head unit only supplies 1000mA and best I could find is Apple suggest 2.1 Amps - 10W.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I am debating between this setup and the new Alpine 8". Alpine has no extra monthly cost (AT&T, etc.) but the ipad mini jailbroken route is totally customizable.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I am debating between this setup and the new Alpine 8".
For me, it's not about the display, it's about the applications and internet access. A $1,700 Alpine double-din unit that can kinda-sorta piggyback on a cell phone for data and run a few apps doesn't interest me in the slightest...

How has the power charging been with the jailbroken mini? Is it sufficient or do you have to pull the unit and charge with a wall charger every once in a while? I found your Pioneer head unit only supplies 1000mA and best I could find is Apple suggest 2.1 Amps - 10W.
The iPad mini ships with a 5W charger, not the larger 12W charger that the other iPads come with.

The 1A USB output on the pioneer is definitely sufficient to keep up with the iPad while it is running with everything on... GPS, wifi, streaming, bluetooth. Some other headunits only provide 500mA of charge current and are definitely problematic, even with an iPhone. The bigger issue is power drain when the iPad is sleeping and there is no charging output from the radio (car parked, radio off), especially if the car is not a daily driver and parked for longer periods of time.

If you carefully to set up the iPad and turn off everything that consumes power in sleep mode (or turn off the iPad, not jus sleep mode), not a problem. iCloud, push notifications, automatic updates, bluetooth, wifi, etc. can all cause power drain while sleeping if they aren't configured properly.

I also split the USB cabling to the iPad for easy access. The Apple lightning to cable plugs into the ipad and runs down to the back of the lower console. A standard USB extension cable runs from the back of the radio to the same spot in the back of the lower console. There they connect...

If I ever need to connect the iPad to a computer (or 12V cigar lighter charger for a faster charge than the radio will deliver), I just unplug the connection in that easily accessible spot. No panels to remove, the wires are just tucked in. Then I use a separate USB extension cable to connect to the charger or computer. (sounds more complicated than it is...)

Last edited by pfbz; 05-01-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by pfbz
For me, it's not about the display, it's about the applications and internet access. A $1,700 Alpine double-din unit that can kinda-sorta piggyback on a cell phone for data and run a few apps doesn't interest me in the slightest...

The iPad mini ships with a 5W charger, not the larger 12W charger that the other iPads come with.

The 1A USB output on the pioneer is definitely sufficient to keep up with the iPad while it is running with everything on... GPS, wifi, streaming, bluetooth. Some other headunits only provide 500mA of charge current and are definitely problematic, even with an iPhone. The bigger issue is power drain when the iPad is sleeping and there is no charging output from the radio (car parked, radio off), especially if the car is not a daily driver and parked for longer periods of time.

If you carefully to set up the iPad and turn off everything that consumes power in sleep mode (or turn off the iPad, not jus sleep mode), not a problem. iCloud, push notifications, automatic updates, bluetooth, wifi, etc. can all cause power drain while sleeping if they aren't configured properly.

I also split the USB cabling to the iPad for easy access. The Apple lightning to cable plugs into the ipad and runs down to the back of the lower console. A standard USB extension cable runs from the back of the radio to the same spot in the back of the lower console. There they connect...

If I ever need to connect the iPad to a computer (or 12V cigar lighter charger for a faster charge than the radio will deliver), I just unplug the connection in that easily accessible spot. No panels to remove, the wires are just tucked in. Then I use a separate USB extension cable to connect to the charger or computer. (sounds more complicated than it is...)
I was picturing you spliced the power cord into a "Y" but I get it now. Thanks for all the input. I love threads like this. Gets my creative juices flowing.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I missed your post. I currently have a pioneer double din. I'm hoping to get another pioneer, but single din to ease the installation into the lower consoles top slot. Thanks or the guidance.

Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Are you using the stock radio or an after market? With the stock radio the wiring harness is a bit short, so you will need to remove the upper center console to install. While the console is out you will need to dremel out some small fins on the sides toward the back on each side of the console that will prevent the radio from sliding in all the way. Once that is done, your radio should slide in place and wil not move unless you pull it very hard straight out.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Latest addition, though not really iPad related...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ift-light.html

Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 AM
pfbz, How much data are you using per month with the jailbroken iPad Mini?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Bit the bullet and decided to do this in stead of the Alpine. Got the iPad Mini the other day, jailbroken, etc. All setup and ready to go except one thing... Activator puts the iPad to sleep when I cut the power but how can I get the music apps (like Pandora) to go to sleep when the iPad goes to sleep?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Bit the bullet and decided to do this in stead of the Alpine. Got the iPad Mini the other day, jailbroken, etc. All setup and ready to go except one thing... Activator puts the iPad to sleep when I cut the power but how can I get the music apps (like Pandora) to go to sleep when the iPad goes to sleep?
Most applications should suspend when the iPad goes into LOCK mode, including Pandora.

There are a few system exceptions to this, most (all?) of which can be disabled, but an user app like Pandora should definitely not be running during lock.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-28-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by pfbz
Most applications should suspend when the iPad goes into sleep mode, including Pandora.

There are a few system exceptions to this, most (all?) of which can be disabled, but an user app like Pandora should definitely not be running during sleep.

The screen goes black but all my music apps keep playing music. iTunes keeps playing music in sleep mode by default so I thought this was normal.

With activator I can only force one action when power is disconnected and I have that set to sleep. I tried it on KillBackground but that didn't work and it would not put the iPad in sleep mode afterwards anyway. (KillBackground does stop all running apps when I press the KillBackground button though.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]