996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Convertible Roof rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Dan Babb is on a distinguished road
Convertible Roof rattle

Car is a 2004 911. When the top is up and you drive, there's a bit of a rattle in the top. At first I thought it was coming from the electric lock mechanism, but now I'm not sure. I feel around the roof while driving to see if I can put my hand over a spot and get the rattle to stop, but haven't found it yet.

Is the roof liner easy to pull back to inspect the structure?

It's my wife's car and she hasn't said anything about it...and I'm not going to say anything to her. But if I can find out where it's coming from and fix it, I will. It's one of those sounds the grates on my nerves just a bit.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
I have a 2004 TT with a similar rattle. Mine is around ear level on the drivers side. When you figure it out, I'd sure like to know.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Dan Babb is on a distinguished road
I took the car out this morning and was paying closer attention. It doesn't seem as noticeable when I'm in the driver seat. Pretty weird.

Will keep hunting around to try to locate it.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Check where the top connects to the front by the sun visors. That piece can get loose and cause a rattle. I think there are two allen screws behind a plastic piece that pops out.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Lower the rear windows just a tiny bit and see if that makes any difference. I searched everywhere for a similar rattle and it goes away if I adjust the driver's side rear window just a bit.