996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wheel Hangers and Soft Sockets

Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Shecky is on a distinguished road
Arrow Wheel Hangers and Soft Sockets

Hey guys,

I recently got a flat on the rear driver side wheel. Long story short, I was having such a hard time getting things sorted out considering I'm not equipped with the proper maintenance tools to do this sort of thing. Anyways, just bought a torque wrench from Snap-On. Did some research and found these nifty little things called wheel hangers that help ease wheel removal and installation. Not sure which of these to get, though. Same goes for the 19mm soft sockets. Apparently, both of these items can help decrease the possibility of scratching/marring your wheels/lugnuts. Can any of you guys who have one or both of these pieces shed some light on the subject? Or recommend something else perhaps? Appreciated.

Porsche OEM Wheel Hanger ($9.95):

Booth Design Wheel Hanger ($29):

Soft Socket from Boothe ($29):

Soft Socket from FVD with Rubber outside ($62):

Thanks guys!

Attached Images     
Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 PM
west coast is on a distinguished road
The wheel guides are a good idea, but if you take your time it is not hard to set the wheel on the hub, as for the soft sockets, just wrap a regular socket with some electrical tape and you just made your own scratch resistant socket!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 AM
yo_clarkie is on a distinguished road
The electrical tape way works well. You can also do the security socket. I have tape on the inside and outside of mine to help stop scratching. Also note for the 996 the coating on the bolts will let go at some point and you will end up painting them. Make sure you use a 6 point socket. NEVER use a 12 point socket.

The torque wrench is a little OCD for me for wheel nuts, but good on you!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
the OEM wheel hanger should be in included your spare tire tool kit if you still have it

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM
aedolfan is on a distinguished road
I agree with the the above mentioned comments. But I will add this. I work for Snap-On and I have a great tool that will answer your torque questions for wheel installation. Our part number is TSKT100A it is a 'torque stick' rated for 136 Nm or 100 ft-lbs. it is about 8 inches long is black in color and has a grey plastic sleeve and looks like a 1/2 drive extension. The color of the sleeve denotes its torques value. When you connect it to your impact gun (battery or air) this 'torque stick' only allows it to tighten a maximum of the rating of the stick. Other companies make these as well, so by no means do I suggest you go out right now and buy from one of our guys. Go to your local tire shop and their techs will have most of the different 'sticks' so you can check them out. Some come with the socket formed to the 'stick', ours uses the extension idea. You can put any socket you want on it. Hope this helps.