996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My Alarm keeps going off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
My Alarm keeps going off!

Happy Easter all!

So I had a double din unit professionally installed and now when I lock the car, within 5-30 minutes the alarm goes off randomly. Sometimes the car chirps when I lock it, and sometimes it doesn't.

I've read here that there is some wire that needs to be grounded or closed off - can any of you guys help with a detailed description?

Also, is there any way to disable the alarm without losing the remote keyless entry?

Please help, my neighbors hate me! :-)

Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
There is a wire that grounds to the cage that holds the radio in. Maybe they forgot to hook that up?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Do you know what color the wire is or where that wire can be located within the wiring harnesses?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I think it is brown. You should see a ring or spade terminal on the end of it.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Peterpokerplane is on a distinguished road
Easy fix! (I'm assuming you already fixed it since this was originally posted a month ago.) Take out the radio, and then thoroughly tape off the Brown?!?(sorry the color eludes me at the moment) wire that used to attach to the driver's side of the radio chassis frame. This is either still connected or hanging loose to the side after the new radio was installed. The reason the alarm is going off is that it thinks that someone has stole the factory radio. You should also hear the horn honk when you arm the car if this or another alarm contact is still open, including the glovebox and center console. This should fix your problem.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Should I tape it off with black electrical tape? Or should I try regrounding it on the chassis frame or thru a ground wire? Just looking for the consistent fix here...

Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
LI911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adamclutz
Should I tape it off with black electrical tape? Or should I try regrounding it on the chassis frame or thru a ground wire? Just looking for the consistent fix here...

When you pull the radio out, look on the left hand side (drivers side) of the horseshoe and you should see two small metal tabs. The one on the top is the male tab that the ground wire should slide into (the tab is bent upwards, unlike the other tab). The ground wire is brown and it has a female type connector that slides over that male tab on the horseshoe (with some significant force).

As an fyi, I put my radio in two weeks ago, my ground is hooked up properly but I'm still getting very intermittent alarms. There's a good thread on rennlist for troubleshooting the alarm system if the ground is not the issue. I decided to just not use the alarm at night (car is garaged) and when I get some time I'll revisit it.

Last edited by LI911; 05-08-2013 at 08:55 AM.