996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 2003 C4S LS3 Build, Cold air intake.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
My 2003 C4S LS3 Build, Cold air intake.

Thought I'd Let ya'll know about a project I'm in progress on. I'm installing an LS3 480hp GM motor in the rear of my 996. I've also cut an access panel in the rear of the passenger conpartment for engine access. Now here's where I'd like some imput. I've also decided to build a cold air intake that would use the rear windows with a 2 1/2 hole cut in the aft part of window with a scoop on the outside. Has ANYONE done this in the past.

My Build on LS1Tech; http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...onversion.html

Pictures of my idea mock up

Name:  DSCN2132.JPG
Views: 1238
Size:  285.6 KB

Name:  DSCN2131.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  286.2 KB

Question is CAN a hole be cut without removing window?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:41 PM
jderianSF is on a distinguished road
Not sure about cutting hole in the glass, but you might want to consider replacing the glass with Lexan. Then you could include a NACA duct to funnel the air efficiently.

I'm sure there are issues, maybe you could get air from under the car instead?

Good luck with the project.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM
That's the kind of help I was looking for, I couldn't think of what they called the NACA Scoops, Thanks much. And that might be a better idea to replace the whole window but I was maybe wanting to keep the visability by only using the aft 8" or so for the scoop. Still Brainstorming
Thanks Much

Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
How about installing the turbo vents on the rear fenders and ducting air that way.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
How about installing the turbo vents on the rear fenders and ducting air that way.
This is a wide body C4S and I can't for the life of me figure out HOW they route the air on the Turbos. This is my first Porsche experience and I've never seen a Turbo in person. And I'm not sure about cutting rear fenders.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Fierofly
This is a wide body C4S and I can't for the life of me figure out HOW they route the air on the Turbos. This is my first Porsche experience and I've never seen a Turbo in person. And I'm not sure about cutting rear fenders.
There is a "kit" available for nonturbo 996's
A few on this forum have installed the side scoops...i believe 1 person has done it to supply "cold air" to his supercharger

Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by geetee
A few on this forum have installed the side scoops...i believe 1 person has done it to supply "cold air" to his supercharger
I did some searching and can't find any info. I looked at the stock TT fender and that hole and mount might be more then I can handle. I would like to install both, have the window scoop for cold air intake and use the fender scoop for engine compartment cooling. Still thinking!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
YouTube

i have seen Porsche 993 911's on YouTube that had v8's in them and I am sure at least one had the venting through the side windows as you describe.
I just did a search on YouTube but couldn't find it, but there are lots of porsches with v8s. Lots of LS1 motors.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 AM
phantom works is on a distinguished road
GT-Racing.com sell the Lexan windows with the NACA duct.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by phantom works
GT-Racing.com sell the Lexan windows with the NACA duct.
Nice!

Looks like they also sell a fiberglass turbo-style rear bumper. Might be a bit easier to route the intake air then from inside the cabin?

Attached Images   

Last edited by pfbz; 04-02-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Talked to the glass experts and they say no way to cut a hole in tempered glass. Thinking about replacing with the Polycarbonate and adding my own scoop/vent. Thanks for the GT Racing link, that helped alot. Now do I try and remove the rear windows myself? Never messed with windows before, will have to do some research. I'm also wondering about the noise factor and think I'll give it a try and even if it doesn't work I can use the scoops to bring some cooler air to the engine bay.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
cant quite make out that aircraft you have there, but she looks a little bit like a warthog with a 15se front end. nice. lotta horsepower in there I bet.
on another tack, check out the twin turbo kit installed by a fellow C4S brother on the forum. nifty. I also recall a fellow in Santa Rosa, Northern California, who was putting a big chevy corvette v8 in his 996. pics were really interesting. Not sure if that was on this forum or over on Renntech. But for certain worth looking for. Good luck on the project.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM
here's the link on the twin turbo set up. Boo had lots of fun with this one on his C4S. some pretty scary videos are out there of this set up at play.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...uding-gt3.html

Last edited by judgejon; 04-04-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
That's because the side vents are where the innercoolers are, the air intak is in the rear and sucks through the boot deck vents.

Originally Posted by Fierofly

Old 04-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by geetee
previous note was right. you dont have the turbo side scoops on a C$S because you dont need them. Why dont you get a turbo and just take out the engine? or, I'm pretty sure you can get Porsche turbo body parts, rear side panels, with the scoops already cut out. aspiration for the v8 will be a problem. I liked the suggestion of putting in a bottom scoop like the Mustang P51 fighters. But them, same as the Mustangs, your pretty vulnerable from underneath. I do think your best bet is to simply get the turbo side panels and convert the turbo intercooler scoops to your air intake. Course then the car would look like a turbo, not a C$S. I'd actually stay away from the window scoops, might spoil the lines of the car. But its a cool project, and I'll bet you get it all worked out ok. The car will surely be a screamer. What are you doing to beef up the rear suspension, by the way? Good luck with this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2003 C4S LS3 Build, Cold air intake.