996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Brakes, rotors, alteratives to OEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
After searching all over, I decided to post a question that has been answered already, but I have not find an updated answer only older ones:

I need to replace rotors and pads on my 99 C2 NB. Car is a daily driver, running on 18 oem withs, and koni fsd's.

Logical option, is OEM and call it a day.

However, what alternatives are out there? Again I do some spirited driving in the mountains where I live, but no tracking. I just sold the pair of front Girodisck rotors I had sitting on my shelve as I dont really need them. Sold them to a fellow 6speeder.

That said, I wonder if there are any slotted rotors that are comparable in price, and quality to OEM. I have browsed through pelican, and other sites. Sebro rotors and Mintex pads has been suggested as an option. Other pads include Hawk, etc. I have read all the threads about OEM vs. Porsche suppliers, and at the end of the day, could not extrapolate anything that would answer my question.

There is a brake kit at pelican but not sure what the components would be, for under 1k.

Any recommendations for:

Rotors: similar wear or better, slotted, same size, coated
Pads: similar wear or better, similar noise (or lack thereof)
I assume to use OEM hardware for the rest (sensors, clips, etc).

Last edited by tarzancoe; 04-01-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
For front pads you could go with the Porsche Sport Brake Pads, $147.89 at Suncoast and do regular OEM rears.
Roters OEM
Since you don't track or DE I'd stick with OEM, these cars are made for "spirited street driving" so really upgrading pads/roters won't get you anywhere unless you upgrade the calipers as well, thats where the stopping power is. The Sport front pads are made to run with OEM roters, and will help.
If you really want to change roters you could go with EBC Drilled and Slotted Sport Rotors with the EBC Sport pads front and back, since you're spirited mountain driving this might be a good set-up.

Originally Posted by tarzancoe
After searching all over, I decided to post a question that has been answered already, but I have not find an updated answer only older ones:

I need to replace rotors and pads on my 99 C2 NB. Car is a daily driver, running on 18 oem withs, and koni fsd's.

Logical option, is OEM and call it a day.

However, what alternatives are out there? Again I do some spirited driving in the mountains where I live, but no tracking. I just sold the pair of front Girodisck rotors I had sitting on my shelve as I dont really need them. Sold them to a fellow 6speeder.

That said, I wonder if there are any slotted rotors that are comparable in price, and quality to OEM. I have browsed through pelican, and other sites. Sebro rotors and Mintex pads has been suggested as an option. Other pads include Hawk, etc. I have read all the threads about OEM vs. Porsche suppliers, and at the end of the day, could not extrapolate anything that would answer my question.

There is a brake kit at pelican but not sure what the components would be, for under 1k.

Any recommendations for:

Rotors: similar wear or better, slotted, same size, coated
Pads: similar wear or better, similar noise (or lack thereof)
I assume to use OEM hardware for the rest (sensors, clips, etc).

Last edited by FLA996TT; 04-02-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks, how do the sport pads compare to the regular ones? more noise? or a bit better grip? no need to put on rears?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
I like Hawk HPS pads. Cheap and don't eat away at rotors.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Redshift is on a distinguished road
I got some cheap Chinese brand pads to test out ($30 at wholesale cost) and they work fin eon my stock brakes for street use. I'll probably go with Carbotech or PFC for track. No need to replace rotors yet but I'll figure that one out when the time comes.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
On a thread on rennlist, orientxpress recommended those as they produce much less dust. Some people mention less stopping power when cold. I gather that in your experience there is no issues when cold? You mean that they are easier on the rotors when compared to OEM pads?

he was talking specifically about Hawk HPS Street brake pads HB550F.634

Originally Posted by white out

Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
SpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to behold
For pads, I would agree that the Hawk HPS is a good street option with additional stopping power for when you are in the twisties.
On the rotor front - have you looked at PowerSlot? They are the OE fit rotors that are part of the StopTech group.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Anybody has tried those stoptech? $80 bucks. How bad can they be.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Good option!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Never heard of them, which does not mean a lot haha. I see that there are the regular powerslot and the crio version.

Originally Posted by SpeedwareMotorsports
For pads, I would agree that the Hawk HPS is a good street option with additional stopping power for when you are in the twisties.
On the rotor front - have you looked at PowerSlot? They are the OE fit rotors that are part of the StopTech group.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Cheap, meaning same price more or less than oem pads.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 AM
See-ya is on a distinguished road
Replacement for OEM Brake stuff

Tarzan, I have the same problem with my '01 C2 which is basically like yours. I have had the brake wear light for a couple months now and I know I have brakes left. The pads are only 2 years old and were OEM (or that is what the dealer said they were).
I have standard calipers and thought about changing the rotors (just because it would seem that it could use them), but now I want better pads and better sensors. I see all kinds of brands. Hawk HPS are popular, but who knows. I want to know that people put them in their car instead of saying "Yeah, those are great".
I see Pelican has such a huge selection. I didn't see about the sport OEM's in Suncoast. What about the EBC Yellowstuff. Stoptechs are not expensive.
Are all sensors the same? I know exactly when mine went off.

I'll probably do 1 DE a year and actually thinking of not doing any until I do the IMS update.

Can you share what you ended up doing and what you were disappointed or happy with on your selection?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM
xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
I am sure stock brakes are good quality and etc. but I personally hate their feel. They don't seem to bite unless you really stand on the pedal, wet bite is almost non-existant (and scary) and the dust is horrendous.

I will definitely be going aftermarket when its time. Not for increased performance, but for just better feel and behavior.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
See-ya is on a distinguished road
You may be right. The current set was relatively new but it could not have been OEM, but I have not had time to break it down and maybe it is just the sensors were bad or they were not replaced, but now I don't trust either and would have to replace both and I guess I'll replace the rotors too.
The OEM rotors are a fortune.
I looked at the Hawk's pads and there are so many variations. None has a "this one is great for your car" so I have to do more digging. thanks for your comment and valid point.