996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2001 996 Turbo, can an amp/sub be installed on Factory Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM
911NTM75 is on a distinguished road
2001 996 Turbo, can an amp/sub be installed on Factory Head Unit?

Curious to know whether this is possible--- I have the double din unit with the Navi. I just want a bit more bass and am thinking about getting a Basslink sub/amp combo to throw behind the rear seats. Is this possible with the factory head unit and all else staying the same? Thank you!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I'm no expert, but adding a bass I would suspect you will need to add an amp as well, unless the head unit has the power in it the bass would need.

Originally Posted by 911NTM75
Curious to know whether this is possible--- I have the double din unit with the Navi. I just want a bit more bass and am thinking about getting a Basslink sub/amp combo to throw behind the rear seats. Is this possible with the factory head unit and all else staying the same? Thank you!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Yes, an amp will definitely be necessary. I am wondering though, if I can get power to it from the amp, can I get signal from the head unit to it as well with a factory setup?That would make for a pretty easy install.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
There are several powered subwoofers that are easy to wire into any existing system. They tie into the existing left and right speaker wires and take the differential signal as input, plus a power and ground wire.

eg: Infinity BassLink.

Audiophile sound quality? Probably not... But your not going to get that with the stock head unit anyway.

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
you will just need a " hi/low line rca converter" to change the speaker signal (where you tap) into an rca out for the amp or powered sub. It's super easy. May only take 15min but you also need to install you amp power kit and although that is just as easy it will take up more time than just tying into two speaker wires.

here is a picture of the hi/low line rca converter you can pic one up at bestbuy in the car audio install bay or at radioshack for a few bucks

Attached Images  

Last edited by BiteEmNBeatEm; 04-02-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
BiteEM and PFBZ, very helpful. That is exactly what I was looking for. Now a follow on question, have any of you used a Basslink or another amp/sub combo in your 911? Im wondering how it would fit behind the rear seats--- I want to avoid a sub in the front boot.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
I should also say that I can't find any definitive pictures for placement on the forums, although I see that some people are using the basslink. Just dunno where.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
i have used a mtx x thunder link in my truck and the powered units sound perfectly fine buy you can't do a great job of hiding them away. In the 996 I just run a single 10" JL w3 sub in a custom box with focal f/r powered by a older jl e6450 6 ch amp

Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
The High to low output converter needs to be tied in prior to any internal/stock amps. The true signal should be ran into a good amp with all the Eq and filters in place. It is cheap, but running the wires takes some time and effort. I will try and find a pic of my custom sub box, but I just replaced everything in my 996TT. I just slapped an R-series Alpine 10" into my BMW with a 500 watt mono Alpine 2 Ohm amp. It helps big-time. All I did was run the battery cables/ground, and plug the converter into the amp. I'm impressed with the sub's sound quality, and a real audiophile. Here is my 996 Box with a 10" Alpine R-series. It looks like it blocks my view in the pics, but really only see about an inch from my RV mirror. I'm about to do the same box for my Carrera.

Attached Images    

Last edited by BOOSTTT; 04-05-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
The high to low converter I put in my BMW came from Pepboys. No humm or engine noise. It was really cheap, but works great. All else is stock still. Now I can get cleaner highs by turning the bass down on the stock deck, and turn the lows up on my sub/amp for clean lows.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
The High to low output converter needs to be tied in prior to any internal/stock amps. The true signal should be ran into a good amp with all the Eq and filters in place. It is cheap, but running the wires takes some time and effort. I will try and find a pic of my custom sub box, but I just replaced everything in my 996TT. I just slapped an R-series Alpine 10" into my BMW with a 500 watt mono Alpine 2 Ohm amp. It helps big-time. All I did was run the battery cables/ground, and plug the converter into the amp. I'm impressed with the sub's sound quality, and a real audiophile. Here is my 996 Box with a 10" Alpine R-series. It looks like it blocks my view in the pics, but really only see about an inch from my RV mirror. I'm about to do the same box for my Carrera.

Have you looked into shallow mount subs? Like the JL Audio 13TW5, Pioneer TS-SW3001S4, and Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-12. These are used behind the back seats in trucks.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Yes, but they don't give the deep bass I like. I don't rattle my car, but love deep, low, tight bass. Those would work for depth issues, but still fairly wide. It is not hard to fiberglass whatever shape you want over a fiber board box. That sub is a giant old Alpine R-series. The newer ones are at least a few inches shorter. If I did anything with a shallow mount, I would use JL Audio subs. Best sounding subs ever IMHO.

Last edited by BOOSTTT; 04-29-2013 at 08:03 PM.