996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

single row bearing confused

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM
DCPorsche is on a distinguished road
single row bearing confused

I have a 2000 996.

I emailed Flat 6 Innovations today to ask them when i could get the IMS SOLUTION installed.

1) I received a response 1 hour later saying it is not necessary on the 996 year 2000 because these were the double row bearing. "The problem is with the Single Row Bearing" in 2001 and later cars.

then

2) I get another email 1 hour later from someone else saying that they have spots available in June and it will be $3500 for IMS, clutch, and rms. Seems like a fair price.

but my question is do i or don't i need the IMS Solution for a 2000 996?? One email says no and the other says to ship 2 their shop in June ??

3) Is it only the later Single Row bearing design that has problems and not the 1999-2000 model double bearings??

thanks for allevating my confusion

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The failure rate for the single row bearings has apparently been much higher than for the double row bearings. At this time LNE/Flat 6 are only offering the IMS solution for engines with the single row bearings, although I read that they have developed parts for the double row bearing but are not releasing/producing them at this time.

Most 2000 cars have the dual row bearing, although they say you can only be sure by looking at the IMS cover. I know my 2000, which was produced in late '99 has the dual row bearing.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
My MY2000 was also dual-row, but my understanding is that some 2000's had single-row.

Don't confuse the "solution" with the LNE Upgraded Ceramic bearing. The "Solution" replaces the single-row bearing with a re-engineered unit that has no bearing. The LNE Ceramic Upgrade bearing is available in single and dual-row versions and is a direct replacement for the stock bearing.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Dish911 is on a distinguished road
I changed out the bearing on my 99 C2, just for piece of mind. 65k and needed a clutch so while in there just do it. Was it needed???? But it was worth the piece of mind for me... But I am selfish pretty attached to my toy..it's your money and if your asking about it then you have the same worries as many of us had. Once it's done you will thank yourself as you will be set.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dish911
I changed out the bearing on my 99 C2, just for piece of mind. 65k and needed a clutch so while in there just do it. Was it needed???? But it was worth the piece of mind for me... But I am selfish pretty attached to my toy..it's your money and if your asking about it then you have the same worries as many of us had. Once it's done you will thank yourself as you will be set.
I changed my as well for the same reason.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DCPorsche
thanks for allevating my confusion
IIRC...

If you have a double row bearing 996:
  • It purportedly has a slightly lower failure rate.
  • You can replace it externally with an OEM-type bearing (pelican).
  • You can replace it externally F6/LNE's 'IMS Retrofit'ceramic hybrid single row bearing.

If you have a single row bearing 996:
  • It purportedly has a slightly higher failure rate.
  • You can replace it externally with an OEM-type bearing (pelican).
  • You can replace it externally F6/LNE's 'IMS Retrofit' ceramic hybrid double row bearing.
  • You can replace it with F6's new 'IMS Solution', an oil-fed bearing that is more expensive, more difficult to install, but should last the lifetime of the engine.

In addition to the above, you can also install the LNE/F6 "IMS Guardian" and "IMS Guardian Jr.", which does nothing to increase the life of your existing bearing, but will warn you of deterioration before engine damage is done, allowing you to replace it when actually needed rather than for "peace of mind".

At $250 for the Jr., I really wonder why all the IMS paranoia doesn't just have everybody installing one of these quite inexpensively rather than dropping their transmission solely to install a replacement for a bearing that might or might not be deteriorated... Now if you are already dropping your transmission for something else like a clutch or RMS seal, than absolutely, I'd say spend the extra few $ for the IMS retrofit.

Last edited by pfbz; 04-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
"...but should last the lifetime of the engine."

All options will last the lifetime of your engine