996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Steering shake while braking from slow speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM
xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
Steering shake while braking from slow speeds

Hey guys,

03 C4S. 32k miles. PSS10. Driving to work today, there was a loud clunking noise as I was merging on to the highway - felt like something fell off the front of the car, but banged and clanged its way through to the back. I looked in the mirror and coudn't spot any pieces flying around but my first instinct was I either picked up a big rock or something came loose and rattled its way back. Car drove fine so I kept going.
  • I get to work and notice that as I brake from 20-25 mph, the steering wheel shakes badly.
  • As I go over bumps, there is a rattling noise.
  • When I brake hard from 10-12 mph, there is a clunking noise and feels like something is loose. Best way to describe is that it feels like ABS is kicking in.

What I have managed to isolate so far:
  • There is no pulsing on the brake pedal (I thought it might be rotors)
  • Braking at speed seems OK.
  • I looked over the paperwork from the previous owner and the PSS10s were done less than 2000 miles ago and they did strut mount bearings as part of the job.
  • Cannot find anything in the previous paperwork to indicate rotors or pads were ever done. Currently at 31,600 miles.

Any tips on how to go about checking this stuff from easy to hard? Cross-drilled rotors cannot be turned correct? If I am doing rotors and pads, are there any recommendations for good dust less pads?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts,

Last edited by xxaarraa; 04-17-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
I would definitely check the front suspension, rattling noise is a sure sign of loose, missing bolts etc... Especially since the new suspension was recently installed, theirs a chance that some bolts were not tightened properly or came undone.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Alright guys, had it up on a lift and found the problem within 30 seconds. Quite scary. Ready for this?

BOTH my front A-arm (or trailing arm I guess) bolts are missing. Its the bolts that hold the front of the arm to the subframe. Gone. We were able to just wiggle the A-arm back and forth as it was held on by only the rear bolt.

I guess this is good news and bad news. Good news because we know what the problem is and it's an easy fix. Bad news because I want to know how the heck a critical bolt like that just vibrates off, especially the pair of them.

Car is parked at the shop as I didn't want to drive it. Going to call Porsche in the morning to see if they have the bolt in stock. Anyone know if they would or a specific part # I should be chasing down?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
You owe anyone money???

Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Didn't you just get this car?

Old 04-20-2013, 04:13 AM
This has been solved - turned out to be an easy fix. Full thread here on rennlist:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...while-braking/