996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Member Intro

Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM
JSimmons is on a distinguished road
New Member Intro

Hello all,

Just posting a short intro here. I'm not a 996 owner, however, I am considering one for my next car purchase and figured I should start by doing some reading/lurking here on the boards and other Porsche forums.

My background is mostly in BMWs, aircooled VWs and old British sports cars. Currently, I have an E28 535is in the stable that will be replaced with either a 996 or perhaps a newer M3. Not sure how feasible it is to drive a 996 as a daily driver but I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I'm an avid DIYer and am not afraid to turn a wrench. Hopefully this possible foray into Porsche land is a rewarding one.

Well, back to lurking and reading. Perhaps a few months from now I will post up some photos of a "new" purchase.

regards,
Joel

Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Welcome aboard! Lot's of good info here.

Jim

Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Welcome Joel. As mentioned by Jim there is a ton of information here and if you can't find something don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy your search and find one that suits you.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm already searching for the conversations that have the answers to all my questions. Just trying to read as many threads on how realistic it is to drive a 996 as a DD.

Looks to be a good community of folks around here.

regards,
Joel

Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Post some of those questions here.

Jim

Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the forums.

My 996 C4S is a daily driver with ~123K on the odometer right now. I highly recommend it!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi Jim,

For fear of being the newbie that gets smacked for asking the same questions every newbie asks, I was just going to search historical threads. But, if you guys are willing to entertain a few questions, here they are:

-At what mileage will a 996's engine typically need to be rebuilt? What is an average cost for a rebuild? I realize this is highly dependent upon owner maintenance, but it is something I am interested in.

-What are some of the "surprise" fixes on 996s that do not surprise seasoned P-Car owners?

-What are some of the nit-picky gripes and complaints that folks have if you daily drive your 996?

-If you're a coffee drinker during your commute, what is your solution for no cup holders? (I'm expecting a flame on that one)

-I will soon be moving to a relatively mountainous area of Arizona; can I survive without AWD in snow and monsoon rains?

-Is there room for a tactical trunk monkey to keep people away from my car after I park it?

-How do I fit an Army rucksack in the car, let alone a set of golf clubs?

Thanks for entertaining some of my more serious questions along with my silliness.

regards,
Joel

Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Welcome to the forums.

My 996 C4S is a daily driver with ~123K on the odometer right now. I highly recommend it!
Now that's what I like to hear!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Partial answers, below:

-At what mileage will a 996's engine typically need to be rebuilt? What is an average cost for a rebuild? I realize this is highly dependent upon owner maintenance, but it is something I am interested in.
THEY CALL IT A 100K ENGINE. BUT YOU SEE SOME AT 200K... SOME LESS, AS YOU READ. COST OF REBUILD, BETWEEN 2.5K FOR A CRACKED HEAD, TO 9K TO 15 K DEPENDING ON OPTIONS (GIVE IT A GOOD 50 HORUS OF LABOR THAT IS HALF OF YOUR BILL)

-What are some of the "surprise" fixes on 996s that do not surprise seasoned P-Car owners?

-What are some of the nit-picky gripes and complaints that folks have if you daily drive your 996?
RATTLES OR RATHER SQUEAKS, EASY TO MINIMIZE. CABIN NOISE A BIT LOUD WHEN TIRES NOT NEW.

-If you're a coffee drinker during your commute, what is your solution for no cup holders? (I'm expecting a flame on that one)
MKI (99 TO 01) CARS ACCEPT OEM CUPHOLDERS ON SIDE VENTS. ALSO THERE ARE SEVERAL AFTERMARKET CUPHOLDERS. MK2 CARS HAVE CUPHOLDERS ('02 AND LATER)

-I will soon be moving to a relatively mountainous area of Arizona; can I survive without AWD in snow and monsoon rains?
MY RECOMMENDATION IS TO GET AWD. I LIVE IN THE MOUNTAINS AND SNOW IS A HANDICAP, WITH A C2. EVEN WITH SNOW TIRES IS A COMPROMISE AT BEST, SPECIALLY IN THE CURVES. IT SUCKS. YOU CAN GET A C4 FOR THE SAME PRICE. IDEALLY A C4 WITH THE LSD OPTION, EARLY CARS HAD THAT OPTION. OF COURSE, A C4S AND TURBO WILL BE GREAT TOO.

-Is there room for a tactical trunk monkey to keep people away from my car after I park it?

-How do I fit an Army rucksack in the car, let alone a set of golf clubs? TRY IT. SHOULD FIT IN REAR SEATS, BUT TRY IT...

Thanks for entertaining some of my more serious questions along with my silliness.

regards,
Joel[/QUOTE]

Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Ok, lets have a stab at these First I have a 2003 C4S with 33k on it I use as a weekend car and 1-2 times a week, I usually drive the living snot out of it and she's been great.

Originally Posted by JSimmons
Hi Jim,

For fear of being the newbie that gets smacked for asking the same questions every newbie asks, I was just going to search historical threads. But, if you guys are willing to entertain a few questions, here they are:

Not a whole lot of smacking here, so it's all good. Some of your questions are subjective to the owner so you'll get some different answers, I'll give you mine, which is my opinion only.

With proper maintainance your engine clould last up to 200,000 miles or more, stock engines will last longer than modified ones. Costs start in the $3-$5k range I would think as a new one could go to $20k. The best ones are rebuilt by FlatSix Innovations and I believe around $8k. Doing regular maintainance is key, and changing the oil every 3-5k miles. I highly recommend DT40, and the LNE spin on filter adapter.

No surprise, but you'll go through two set's of rear tires for every 1 front.

As mentiond, cup holder. The radio $uck$ well at least mine does.

There is a "cup holder" on the dash in mine it pops out, go figure. I would get one of those insulated cups that's spill proof, and prop it up against your briefcase. When I drink soda I get the ones with the screw cap and keep it in my brief case.

Well it's a car from Germany, you'll do ok with it but it's not a 4WD and you would need to drive it as such, do not be lulled into thinking AWD will drive as a 4WD. Be careful of deep water. C4S for you!

Nothing peeves me off more that this, I wish so. I park way out to try and avoid people but sometimes people are, well, jerks.

-How do I fit an Army rucksack in the car, let alone a set of golf clubs?

Put the rear seats down. I know, what rear seats. Funny, I bought a big pizza from Costco and it wouldn't fit in that thing in front the call a "trunk"

I hope this is helpful, let me know if you need any othe info.

Jim

regards,
Joel

Last edited by FLA996TT; 04-23-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your answers. I realized that some of my questions would generate subjective answers but that is perfectly fine. I need to hear current owners' perspectives on some of these things as many of my co-workers give the complete opposite opinions (obviously they are not 996 owners). Plus, you're helping me build the justifying argument for when I have to explain to the wife why a 996 is an acceptable "new" car.

I'll be honest and say that the "100K engine" statement does cause me to hesitate a bit. I have no preconceived notions about how much repairs cost on these cars, and would not expect to just drive one without meticulous attention to regular maintenance. However, I can be honest and say that I wouldn't be able to fund a $8k - $20k engine rebuild for a daily driver.

Good to know about the cup holders. I was always under the impression that Porsche refused out of principle to put cup holders in their cars. My 535is does not have any and it can really make for a difficult/passive drive sometimes. With regard to tires, yes I can see going through rears much quicker than fronts. This was the same as when I had my M3, so I completely understand that one.

Sounds like I probably need to look for a Carrera 4. I have no delusions about the capability of AWD vs. 4WD (we currently have a 4Runner 4x4 and a Subaru Outback 3.0R). I just worry about the stability of the non-AWD cars, say in a flash thunderstorm or in several inches of snow. Although, my best insurance against the elements is to probably go to a PCA HPDE event to learn how to properly control the car.

The Army gear question is kind of silly, I know. But I had to ask. I figured it would fit by folding down the rear "seats" but I've never actually had to try and load a Porsche with all the requisite gear for going on a long ruck march.

Again, thank you for all the input. If anyone else has perspective they'd like to share on any of these questions I am interested to hear them. I'm still searching and reading through the old threads as well. Seems like a good group of folks around here already.

regards,
Joel

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I almost feel bad about the 100k engine comment haha. The good news is that 996 are very depreciated. It is fairly common finding a low mile example. Or, even better, one with a rebuilt engine. That is what I would look for. They do not command a premium ad you get a new engine. Also, many sell with the iMS fix done. And, remember, most cars have no issues.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
With proper winter tires, a C2 will do fine in the snow (less than 5" on the road!).

I drive my C4S in all conditions and we get tons of snow (I live at ~8,000 feet of elevation in the Rocky Mountains). Tires are the key. The AWD system in the C4 and C4S is nice, but tires really make the difference. I bought the C4S for other reasons...

Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
With proper winter tires, a C2 will do fine in the snow (less than 5" on the road!).

I drive my C4S in all conditions and we get tons of snow (I live at ~8,000 feet of elevation in the Rocky Mountains). Tires are the key. The AWD system in the C4 and C4S is nice, but tires really make the difference. I bought the C4S for other reasons...
What tires do you use? I live at 7,000, mountains, and my concern is always some dumbass forcing me to having to yank the steering wheel, with snow on the ground and with a cliff on one side. That's why I think an AWD better, everything helps.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
I use Bridgestone Blizzaks on my winter wheels. I've been very happy with them.

There are a couple of things that are important with regard to the 996 AWD system and winter driving.

- Tires really make or break a car for winter conditions. They are more important than the AWD system IMHO.
- The rear weight bias of the 911 puts weight over the primary drive wheels, which makes it even better in slippery conditions.
- The 996 features a viscous coupling AWD system. This system uses a series of wet clutches that engage when the rear wheels lose traction. In normal driving conditions, the front wheels see roughly 5% of the power from the drivetrain. If the rear wheels slip, then up to 40% of the power is diverted to the front wheels. This happens because the slipping rear wheels cause the clutch plates in the VC to spin a different speeds (rear vs. front). This causes friction and heat, which then causes the dilatant fluid inside the VC to heat up and become much more viscous, almost to the point of being solid. This drives the front wheels. The reaction isn't instantaneous - it takes a little bit of rear wheel slip for the fronts to engage. If you have PSM engaged, the traction control will limit rear wheel slip, and therefore limit front wheel engagement. If you really want the AWD system to work, you need to turn off the PSM system. This isn't a compromise that most people are willing to make in normal driving conditions. When driving up a steep driveway that's covered in snow, it makes sense.

Overall, I really like the C4S and I like the fact that it is an AWD car. It's just important to remember that it drives much more like a RWD car, and that the AWD system is nothing like a more advanced system such as Audi Quattro. The 993 and the 996 utilize the viscous coupling system. The 997 and 991 utilize a computer controlled AWD system.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Member Intro