996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Shop Recommendation in SoCal (Clutch, IMS, RMS, AOS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
basalt996C4S is on a distinguished road
Shop Recommendation in SoCal (Clutch, IMS, RMS, AOS)

Edit: Found a shop to do this service for me - UFO Motorsports in Long Beach

Last edited by basalt996C4S; 06-12-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
batman46 is on a distinguished road
UFO Motorsport experiences

Did you have any luck with UFO on your engine? I am thinking about using them for a rebuild for my M96 breakdown/replacement from an IMS failure.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Batman. How many miles were you at when the IMS failed?

Swaff

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM
About 67,000 miles so need a rebuild now....but my mechanic says it also may have been caused by a timing chain guide breaking now. Either way, the valves are bent and one head needs replacing.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
Extreme Dimensions has a spectacular aura aboutExtreme Dimensions has a spectacular aura about
911 Design in montclair, Ca do amazing work as well.

NOTE:This is a personal opinion, and does not represent in any way shape or form AeroFunction views.-Irving

Old 06-24-2013, 02:32 AM
The Batmobile will be shipped to UFO Motorsports this week. Rebuild will be done in two weeks. Needs new clutch so add $500 to $7500 rebuild job. Good price and they check out on rennlist and other blogs as well. Tim has been very helpful and patient with explanation of what they will do to the engine. They have aftermarket fixes for faulty IMS and RMS bearings.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Update on the UFO Motorsport rebuild: I just got home from driving my car back to norCal from Long Beach! Man, Tim, at UFO did a PHENOMENAL job on my car!! And he was true to his estimate, which is an even rarer commodity with Porsche mechanics from my experience! Driving back up on 101, that car PURRED. What was done: a new clutch along with a complete rebuild, a new plastic coolant tank (old one was yellowing and was recommended to replace), NO extra labor for same. The rebuild was done with both original heads, even when a timing chain broke a fin on the inside of the head. Tim welded the piece back in place after checking that no cracks existed in the head itself. The IMS actually did not fail and it is suspected that because I only had 67,000 miles on the car, the chain may have worn out from not enough regular lubrication. High RPM's on these cars mean more oil to the engine everywhere. Not driving enough miles every day (10 miles commute total) could have caused the chain to wear the guide prematurely. Meanwhile, Tim used upgraded RMS and IMS bearings, all new moving parts that can get wear, a new fuel pump, new cams, etc. He also took the car apart and put it back together, and tuned it to perfection, all for the same price. I personally felt like I was driving a brand new car home, with a seamless connection between smooth engine RPM, shifting, accelerating and idle. One other thing: Tim rebuilt this car and had it ready for me to pick up in 10 days!! One other place in SoCal who I talked with wanted 3 1/2 months!!! UFO Motorsport is THE WAY TO GO! Thanks, Tim.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:08 PM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by batman46
Update on the UFO Motorsport rebuild: I just got home from driving my car back to norCal from Long Beach! Man, Tim, at UFO did a PHENOMENAL job on my car!! And he was true to his estimate, which is an even rarer commodity with Porsche mechanics from my experience! Driving back up on 101, that car PURRED. What was done: a new clutch along with a complete rebuild, a new plastic coolant tank (old one was yellowing and was recommended to replace), NO extra labor for same. The rebuild was done with both original heads, even when a timing chain broke a fin on the inside of the head. Tim welded the piece back in place after checking that no cracks existed in the head itself. The IMS actually did not fail and it is suspected that because I only had 67,000 miles on the car, the chain may have worn out from not enough regular lubrication. High RPM's on these cars mean more oil to the engine everywhere. Not driving enough miles every day (10 miles commute total) could have caused the chain to wear the guide prematurely. Meanwhile, Tim used upgraded RMS and IMS bearings, all new moving parts that can get wear, a new fuel pump, new cams, etc. He also took the car apart and put it back together, and tuned it to perfection, all for the same price. I personally felt like I was driving a brand new car home, with a seamless connection between smooth engine RPM, shifting, accelerating and idle. One other thing: Tim rebuilt this car and had it ready for me to pick up in 10 days!! One other place in SoCal who I talked with wanted 3 1/2 months!!! UFO Motorsport is THE WAY TO GO! Thanks, Tim.
Glad you are back up and running!

Swaff

Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by batman46
Congratulations Batman. FYI there is no way you got NEW cams without paying extra, alot more.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:38 PM
feroz928 is on a distinguished road
I love to hear positive stories about local Indy shops I need chain tensioners replaced and I will give them a call..