996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wheel rebuild project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM
mlandingin177 is on a distinguished road
Wheel rebuild project

Hi everyone,

Im fairly new to 6speed and wanted to say HI. I picked up my 996 last year and just starting to look for upgrades and modifications. Wanted to post my build and keep everyone updated.

I first started by pick up some Champion wheels from a fellow member (thanks Izzy):

The wheels were in good shape (no bends, cracks) it had some curb damage and the chrome were peeling on some parts of the outer lip.

I decided to disassemble the wheel and have the chrome stripped. I first had the lips stripped:

after the stripping was complete the wheels had a nice reverse look to it (chrome face/ Raw finish outer lip), but too bad the curb damage was visible. So i decided to change the color of the face and polish outer lip.

I had the face stripped and I painted the faces with a textured silver/grey metallic paint.

I decided to Sandwich mount the face in between the inner and outer lip/dish. After putting together the wheel I am happy with the turn out.

Now I have to order new assembly bolts as the old ones were all rusted. I am still debating if i should get gold or chrome ones.

Hopefully I can finish this build and have them on the car before summer. Ill keep everyone posted

Sorry i dont have a pictures of the car but I do have this pic of some projects wheels and the car is in the back ground

ill get some pics as soon as I detail the car.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	716033d1364620043-19-champion-motorsport-rg5b-replicas-look-img_0773.jpg
Views:	4769
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	243644   Click image for larger version

Name:	716034d1364620043-19-champion-motorsport-rg5b-replicas-look-champion-wheel-barrle.jpg
Views:	4373
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	243645  
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 AM
***updates***

Hey everyone its been a while and I have a few updates to share.

My gold wheel bolts finally arrived.

here they are on the wheels.(will get some better detailed pics)

Also last month the Mod Bug hit me very hard. I decided to add a GMG Roll cage, Gt3 style bucket seats, and some coilovers.

After following a few of the DIY's online (thanks to all the guys that took the time to share on the forums) I was able to install pretty much all the parts in 1 weekend.

Below are some pics of the night I finished. (Please don't mind the messy garage)

Shortly after I had some goodies arrive at my office. (Thanks to Tony at Precision Porsche)

TechArt style front bumper with large front lip.

GT2 style rear wing

I also purchased a beat up Turbo bumper on eBay for really cheap (going to have the shop modify it anyway to fit my narrow body). And was able to come across some TechArt side skirts to complete the look.

Here are some pics of the car at the shop:

Test fitment of the sides skirts and Rear spoiler have good fitment

Rear bumper needs to be modified as it bows out about 1/4-1/2 and inch and exhaust needs to be relocated to fit the new outlets

Front bumper test fit is good, They just need to trim the reinforcement to be able to completely mount it.

Here are some pics of the modification on the rear bumper:

The shop decided to use a different method to get the Turbo bumper to fit. Instead of cutting down the middle or trimming the bumper at the wheel well, they decided to trim certain areas of the bumper to achieved the desired shape.

Here is the fitment after the modifications:

I stopped by the shop the other day and here are some of my parts that were painted.

(Sorry for all the cellphone pics, I will try and get some nice detailed shots when it gets out of the shop)
I will be picking up the car next week. I will post more pics as soon as put on the wheels.

Attached Images             
Old 09-27-2013, 01:15 PM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Very nice work! cant wait to see the finished project

Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
It's looking good! More pics once it's complete.

I live in the SF/Bay Area too. Maybe see you on the road.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Looking good. Are you having the entire car shot to match or just the new parts?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Looking good. Are you having the entire car shot to match or just the new parts?
Thanks, I am just having the add-ons painted. The body shop did a great job color matching the kit. I will try and get some detailed side by side pictures of the new/old paint when i pick up the car.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Looking great so far!! Keep up the good work, I look forward to a few more pictures once it's complete.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM
***UPDATES***

I picked up the car earlier today. Here are some quick shots with my camera phone

I didnt add the front lip (I was scared to crack it on the way home, going to get a urethane version instead). If some one needs a large TechArt Lip PM me.

I still need to lower the front about 2-3 inches

Here's is a pic of the rear. Need to add extension for my exhaust tips.

After looking at the rear for a while...I feel like something is missing. What do you guys think about the TechArt rear add-on for the turbo bumper:

Thats it for now.. I will post more as soon as I install my racing seats, Rims, and some other goodies that I have on my list.

Attached Images     

Last edited by mlandingin177; 10-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
Love build threads. Agree with you on the rear add-on. I think that would balance it out in the back a little. Great job! Would really like to see interior pics when you get a chance. I really want to swap out my seats for the GT3 seats as well.

Last edited by Stone_05; 10-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Breakthru is on a distinguished road
Dropped on those wheels should look good.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Also, i have the rear add on pieces and i like them. Get em. lol

Old 10-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Breakthru
Also, i have the rear add on pieces and i like them. Get em. lol
Thanks... Do you mind me asking you what company you purchased them from and how was the fitment? Do you also have a narrow body...Do you have any pictures of them on your car?

I also noticed you were in the Bay Area maybe I will see you on the road sometime (I'm usually in the Fremont Area) .

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by mlandingin177
Thanks... Do you mind me asking you what company you purchased them from and how was the fitment? Do you also have a narrow body...Do you have any pictures of them on your car?

I also noticed you were in the Bay Area maybe I will see you on the road sometime (I'm usually in the Fremont Area) .
Tony @ Precision hooked me up with the rear pieces. I picked them up the same time i got my bumper. I don't have any rear shots of my car surprisingly, and it's too dark out right now to take any.

Re: bay area, yep. One of these days i have to make it to a cars and coffee meet. On a sidenote, i am actually going to rebuild my 2 rear wheels into a wider and more aggressive offset. Maybe 19x11 or 12. We'll see what i can squeeze in there. lol

Old 10-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Here is a teaser shot my buddy took over the weekend. Special Thanks to Ramil Sumalpong @ Iconic Lab for the beautiful pics.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 PM
SKY213 is on a distinguished road
Looking good and nice short !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel rebuild project