996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What the?? Carrera flooded from car wash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
What the?? Carrera flooded from car wash?

My 99 Carrera just filled like 5 inches deep in my trunk and fried my Amps. The driver's side floor is really soaked as well from a car wash. What happened? I have never seen anything like that. 1st auto car wash since I bought it a year ago. Never driven in the rain...Arizona car. It is full of water next to the battery as well. My trunk seals are like new. I looked at my stereo install and those wires seem sealed from the firewall to the inside. What should I look for?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like the drains are clogged up. Very common on these cars. Do a search on how to clean out the drains.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
I just cleaned my drains today. From the driver's perspective there is one drain to the left of the battery and two to the right. (My car is a 2002 Carrera).

Old 05-19-2013, 06:56 AM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
+1 drains

Auto car washes are okay for a Bubba truck or the Soccer Mom van...but never use an automatic car wash for any car you care about. IMHO

Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 02TX996Cab
+1 drains

Auto car washes are okay for a Bubba truck or the Soccer Mom van...but never use an automatic car wash for any car you care about. IMHO
I can not imagine running any car of mine thru one...never have !

Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Drains +1 I agree, I would never take my car through a car wash.

Originally Posted by 02TX996Cab
+1 drains

Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Don't try or yours may flood too. Never took the TT through, but thought my daily driver, with bugs and pollen covering it would be fine. I found a small opening in a rubber grommet wires are running through on the DS. I'll silicone that closed up water tight. That same day, my water pump went out, now trying to get a busted water pump bolt out. Fun times.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
If the car wash has under carriage wash enabled, your car can flood even with clear drain holes.

Just pull up the frunk carpet for example and you will see 2 quarter sized drain holes. They are not baffled in any way and provide a clear straight site to the ground. There are drain vents under the seats as well where water can travel up from the bottom as well.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input

The undercarriage wash has got to be the cause. I see what your talking about, and that is where the majority of water was pooled. It could not fill up that much with a tiny pin hole from the top side grommet. Thanks for the input.

At least my new amp sounds better than my old one. LOL

Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Abuong01 is on a distinguished road
I too had the same issue and after reading some posts here went looking for the drains. Turns out all 4 were clogged with sand from the car living in AZ prior to my puchasing it. After cleaning the water wentr right through to the driveway.
There are 4 drains with the second "hidden" under some wires on the passenger side (in 2011 C4)
Wasn't hard to do so worth a look if you have time.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:13 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carbonissimo
I can not imagine running any car of mine thru one...
I have, but certainly not the Carrera. Too many potential issues when the water is under that type of pressure. Rain... no problem as there is no high-pressure jets blowing from unnatural angles. Sorry to hear yours got doused.