996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Scheduled maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Scheduled maintenance

Hey guys Im coming up to 5k miles since last time the engine oil has been changed. Its a daily driver and I drive it A LOT. I have been checking the oil quality regularly about every two weeks. And it has changed its color its a little more darker now kind of looks like a water down coffee. I don't want to take it to the Pshop I would like to do it my own.

So I plan on changing:
The engine oil and filter, washer on the oil drain plug. (maybe bolt to?)
Air filter
Cabin filter.

What else do you guys change on a regular scheduled maintenance? The engine has almost 5k on a fresh rebuilt the chassis and and everything else has 104k. The clutch was changed also the ims when the engine was rebuilt?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Use DT40 motor oil, put on the LNE Spin On Filter Adapter, get a magnetic drain plug. Check all fluids to ensure they are filled, tire air pressure, drain plugs, check the battery, if it need water use distilled only.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
What are the benefits of a LNE Spin on filter adapter?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
At 5k on a fresh motor, I would change the oil just in case there is any metallic particles. Normally, the oil is good for 10k miles.

I would not mess with the oil filter "upgrade". There is no reason to change the stock filter to a spin on type. The paper filter works very well and is designed for the car. It's also more environmental than spin-on type.

Check cabin filter, air filter to see if they are dirty, if so, change them.

The brake fluid is due every 2 years.

Coolant lasts several years as it's supposed to be permanent. Since your motor is new, you should be good for 4-5 years.

Check tire pressure, tire wear, brake pads, oil leaks, belt condition every time you service the car.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I know everyone says the oils can go to 10K, and to be honest, they may, but I would never do it, I change at 3-5K or every 4 months which ever comes first. And I'm well aware oil technology has greatly improved over the years
Now for the spin on adapter; it allows you to use a regular filter, which makes the changes a little easier, you get full filtration as the bypass only kicks in if the filter should become clogged, you get better filtration because the filters are better than the paper one. And used with the DT40 I think you get better lubrication.

I know some will debate this until the cows come home, and everyone has varried opinions, so this is mine.

Check out the LN Engineering website for more detailed info on DT40 and the spin on.

Originally Posted by nottoshabi
What are the benefits of a LNE Spin on filter adapter?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Used oil should be near dark coffee color when it is changed. If yours is light brown, you are wasting resources. European cars unlike American and Japanese have a larger capacity designed for at least twice the interval. American and japanese cars need fluid change every 5-7k miles and Porsche is good for 10k mi for sure. I do my own service and watch for fluid color when draining. If you track the car, I would change it twice as often.

The oil plug doesn't need change unless you see signs of wear. The washer should be changed every other oil changes. You can change it every time as it's cheap but it's really not needed.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Fla996TT. I read the web site on LN, and lets be honest the guy makes a living off of selling these things he is going to say my stuff is the best cause we tested. He does have some great updates for our cars. In this particular piece I think is more of a hype. He does not have any real data saying other wise. And for the price I would rather save it and put it towards shocks cause I need a pair. And also the oil. Since my engine just got rebuilt I'm going to watch for the color and go from there. I should look for dark coffee right?

Also the brake fluid should be changed completely? I have owned the car for 1 year I don't know what was done to it before. When I bought it they said it had its 10k service but did not specify and I did not ask details. Does the fluid change color? Should I look for something specific?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM
The DT40 oil was a collective effort between LNE, Flat6 Innovations, and Joe Gibbs Racing and was specifially made for the Porsche engine, not to say there aren't other good oils out there. As far as how often to change it, that's all personal preference.
The Spin on Adapter allows for full filtration and a better filter plus it makes it easier to do yourself, but again, it's personal preference.
As for the other fluids, since you really don't know the service history I would have the radiators flushed and brake fluid changed, but again that's what I would do.

Since you have an engine with low miles on her I would give Jake Raby a call at Flat 6 and talk with him about the DT40.

And a question for you if I may; you engine has 5k which means it was rebuilt, do you know why it was rebuilt? I ask because everthing else has 104K and these engines should last much longer if maintained correctly which you're trying to do.

Originally Posted by nottoshabi
Fla996TT. I read the web site on LN, and lets be honest the guy makes a living off of selling these things he is going to say my stuff is the best cause we tested. He does have some great updates for our cars. In this particular piece I think is more of a hype. He does not have any real data saying other wise. And for the price I would rather save it and put it towards shocks cause I need a pair. And also the oil. Since my engine just got rebuilt I'm going to watch for the color and go from there. I should look for dark coffee right?

Also the brake fluid should be changed completely? I have owned the car for 1 year I don't know what was done to it before. When I bought it they said it had its 10k service but did not specify and I did not ask details. Does the fluid change color? Should I look for something specific?

Last edited by FLA996TT; 05-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
nottoshabi- we've put together a list of 996 tech items (not all regular maintenance) which you may find interesting:

996 Tech Articles

Let us know if you have any questions

Mark/Pelican Parts

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST