996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 996 3.4 supercharger or singleturbo?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
GMS03 is on a distinguished road
Question Porsche 996 3.4 supercharger or singleturbo?

Hello sixters, I've a friend with a 996 3.4 engine and he is searching for some several upgrades. we are talking about fit it with a supercharger or a single turbo sistem.

does some of you explain your experiences and help us to find the perfect conversion? we are searching to upgrade it to 440-470hp

thx

Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
sell it and buy a turbo.. thats an old engine, and it may not handle boost very well.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
phantom works is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately the 3.4 with cable throttle doesn't have many aftermarket forced induction options, Vivid Racing has 1 Supercharger kit available but no turbo kit.
I've done some pretty extensive searching on the web because my 911 is a 1999 3.4 and that is pretty much the only "kit" for our car.
Now if you want to get a little crazy you can do a complete custom set-up but that requires some serious fab work and tuning skill. BisiMoto did a twin turbo 996 3.4 water cooled engine that they put in an early model 911 but Bisi has the experience with this sort of thing.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
GRGx3 is on a distinguished road
As others have said, I would sell and buy a turbo. My friend put a turbo on a boxter s and had nothing but problems with it and paid to have it removed.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by phantom works
Unfortunately the 3.4 with cable throttle doesn't have many aftermarket forced induction options, Vivid Racing has 1 Supercharger kit available but no turbo kit.
I've done some pretty extensive searching on the web because my 911 is a 1999 3.4 and that is pretty much the only "kit" for our car.
Now if you want to get a little crazy you can do a complete custom set-up but that requires some serious fab work and tuning skill. BisiMoto did a twin turbo 996 3.4 water cooled engine that they put in an early model 911 but Bisi has the experience with this sort of thing.
not all 3.4 m96 (996) engines are cable throttle body. only '99 models were. 00-01 3.4l were electronic.

Now to answer your question GMS03, you will gain about 100whp with either the vf supercharger or the tpc turbo kit. These kits use low boost pressure around 4-6psi. I would not push a stock block much harder than that. There are some weak points that need to be addressed if you would like to go for more gains. Now you mentioned 470hp so if you are referring to gains at the flywheel than you will be fine, but if you are talking 470 to the wheels that would equate to 550hp flywheel using 15% drive train loss. and I would suggest building the engine to handle the higher hp.

Bisimoto did a 3.4 m96 engine build that has put down some impressive power, 770+whp, but I have yet to see dyno graphs showing it. But knowing what Bisi has gotten out of little honda 4bangers I don't doubt the 770+ whp at all.

I have gone down this road and I am still walking down the long dirt road...lol
I went with a 3.8l build with a tpc single turbo kit with a few parts upgraded(turbo, intercooler, injectors, different tune and aluminum charge pipes)

Last edited by BiteEmNBeatEm; 05-28-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM
jcarrera is on a distinguished road
I'm the owner of the car and project who says GMS03. Thanks for the replys.

My idea was to put a supercharger, but I've seen models with turbo and they looks fast. My car is a '99 996, so that parts would have to forge? I don't know if buy the kit in vivid racing or looking for the parts step by step on the internet... I need recommendations!!! My idea was to get near real 450HP.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Barcelona, Spain.

Thanks!!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM
fast996 is on a distinguished road
what will you do for tuning for your turbo project? AEM maybe? Not sure how to wire in the harness

Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM
jcarrera is on a distinguished road
I don't know, I only see the projects here in this forum, my idea is put the supercharger kit

Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fast996
what will you do for tuning for your turbo project? AEM maybe? Not sure how to wire in the harness
tune off the factory ecu. just have Todd Knightnon remote tune it.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM
phantom works is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=BiteEmNBeatEm;3858993]not all 3.4 m96 (996) engines are cable throttle body. only '99 models were. 00-01 3.4l were electronic.

I said the 3.4's with cable throttle I didn't say all 3.4's and it looks like that's what he has since he just posted his is a 1999 3.4. My point was
having the 3.4 cable throttle engine limits your aftermarket kit choices.

Last edited by phantom works; 05-28-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 PM
GWerks is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

New to the forum but I will chime in since it is an option I have considered before.

It wouldn't be hard for a shop or someone with experience to fabricate a turbo kit for a 3.4 at all, tuning could be done on the stock ECU, any decent tuner out there should be able to work with our ME7.5.

Things I would do if I were to turbo the car:
- Valve adjustment
- Valve cover gaskets
- Rod bearings
- Crank bearings
- Oil pan gasket
- Upgraded clutch
- Transmission fluid

Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 AM
GMS03 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BiteEmNBeatEm
not all 3.4 m96 (996) engines are cable throttle body. only '99 models were. 00-01 3.4l were electronic.

Now to answer your question GMS03, you will gain about 100whp with either the vf supercharger or the tpc turbo kit. These kits use low boost pressure around 4-6psi. I would not push a stock block much harder than that. There are some weak points that need to be addressed if you would like to go for more gains. Now you mentioned 470hp so if you are referring to gains at the flywheel than you will be fine, but if you are talking 470 to the wheels that would equate to 550hp flywheel using 15% drive train loss. and I would suggest building the engine to handle the higher hp.

Bisimoto did a 3.4 m96 engine build that has put down some impressive power, 770+whp, but I have yet to see dyno graphs showing it. But knowing what Bisi has gotten out of little honda 4bangers I don't doubt the 770+ whp at all.

I have gone down this road and I am still walking down the long dirt road...lol
I went with a 3.8l build with a tpc single turbo kit with a few parts upgraded(turbo, intercooler, injectors, different tune and aluminum charge pipes)
Well, first of all, can you not use that technics words? xD we are from spain and we don't have that high english level... the kit from Vivid racing that says 450hp are on the crankshaft? not on the wheels? and apart of that, can a stock ECU be tuned for a supercharger?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM
well like phantom mentioned, there is not an off the shelf turbo kit that work with the '99 3.4. I believe it uses the older 993 ecu and its still cable throttle body. I have not doubt that the ecu can be tuned but its finding the right tuner. You may want to call or e-mail Todd Knighton to see if he could tune '99 3.4 cable throttle body.

to answer your question about flywheel/crank hp vs wheel hp. most all these companies are selling a product so they tend to use flywheel/crank numbers. there is nothing wrong with that and lets face it 450hp sounds better than 380whp.
From what other members have reported a stock 996 with 300hp will put down between 240-270whp (wheel hp) and of course there are so many variables such as temp, humidity, dyno type and so forth.

If I could do it all over I would probably have just sold my 996 and went with a 996tt that already had some good bolt on mods and tune. Heck a clean 996 sells for 17-22k and lately I have seen some nice 996tt going for 35-40k
yeah it almost double, but figure a (10k turbo or supercharger kit) will cost about 12-13k total once installed. and your right back up to a clean higher mileage 996tt.

Damn, I should of listened to everyone that said sell it and buy a 996tt!! I have been working on this project since September '12 and its still not done.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM
BReif61 is on a distinguished road
Generally speaking, adding forced induction to a car is never cheaper/simpler than just buying one that comes turbocharged from the factory. You start from a non-optimal point with the NA engine and transmission, spend lots of money on custom parts, degrade the long-term reliability, and damage the resale, costing you more money.

If you approach the situation with a cradle-to-grave financial view, it makes the most sense to sell the Carrera and buy a Turbo. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just pointing things out.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM
GWerks is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BiteEmNBeatEm
well like phantom mentioned, there is not an off the shelf turbo kit that work with the '99 3.4. I believe it uses the older 993 ecu and its still cable throttle body. I have not doubt that the ecu can be tuned but its finding the right tuner. You may want to call or e-mail Todd Knighton to see if he could tune '99 3.4 cable throttle body.

to answer your question about flywheel/crank hp vs wheel hp. most all these companies are selling a product so they tend to use flywheel/crank numbers. there is nothing wrong with that and lets face it 450hp sounds better than 380whp.
From what other members have reported a stock 996 with 300hp will put down between 240-270whp (wheel hp) and of course there are so many variables such as temp, humidity, dyno type and so forth.

If I could do it all over I would probably have just sold my 996 and went with a 996tt that already had some good bolt on mods and tune. Heck a clean 996 sells for 17-22k and lately I have seen some nice 996tt going for 35-40k
yeah it almost double, but figure a (10k turbo or supercharger kit) will cost about 12-13k total once installed. and your right back up to a clean higher mileage 996tt.

Damn, I should of listened to everyone that said sell it and buy a 996tt!! I have been working on this project since September '12 and its still not done.
I totally agree with you, I thought of just buying a Carrera and I did buy one, just the wrong one to modify LOL (Tip, Cabrio), it has been great and I have learned a lot by just doing some oil changes. I priced a turbo manifold at the local fab shop along with some DP's and charge piping and it would cost close to $6k including turbos to turbo my 911, you have to add a clutch and all the preventive maintenance and you get close to 8k if you do all the work your self, fueling and tuning. Not worth it IMO unless you already have a lot of $ into your 911 already or you want to keep it forever.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 3.4 supercharger or singleturbo?