996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Sunroof one touch not working? Try this before buying a new motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
zapna is on a distinguished road
Sunroof one touch not working? Try this before buying a new motor

Hi All,

I've read numerous posts where members have lost the one touch capability of their sunroofs, and when a reset of the sunroof is attempted, nothing happens and they end up replacing the motor. This is the same problem I had with my '03 996 C2. I had reconciled myself to having to drop $400+ on a new motor simply to get a "good" control board. So I decided to dissect my current motor/circuit board. It turns out its very east to remove the motor (follow the emergency sunroof closing procedure in your owners manual to access the motor, then remove the two Torx 25 screws. Make sure there isn't any tension on the sunroof though!). There is a black cover over the circuit board that is held in place with a Torx 20. Once removed, finesse the board cover off (the motor wires are tight). The board is mounted inside the cover. I used a small screw driver to gently pry the board out. I then sprayed the board down with electrical cleaner and lubricant from Radio Shack, then wiped it down after letting it soak for a minute. I then reassembled the motor and controller board and reinstalled it in the car. I tried the reset procedure again and viola! The sunroof now operates as it is supposed to.

Procedure for resetting the sunroof limits on an '02-05 996 and all 996TT's:
1. Press open button until it stops. Release button.
2. Press the open button again until it stops a second time (it should completely retract on the second push). Release button.
3. Press open button again and hold. After approximately 10 seconds, the top will cycle through close/lift/lower/open/close. Be sure to keep the button pressed the entire time until the top closes the second time, then release the button. You should now have one-touch!

I hope this may help someone else.

Brad

Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 PM
palestar is on a distinguished road
My 99 had the same problem, I greased up the tracks and did the same reset procedure and seems to be fine now. You can also do the same reset for the tilt function.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zapna
Hi All,

I've read numerous posts where members have lost the one touch capability of their sunroofs, and when a reset of the sunroof is attempted, nothing happens and they end up replacing the motor. This is the same problem I had with my '03 996 C2. I had reconciled myself to having to drop $400+ on a new motor simply to get a "good" control board. So I decided to dissect my current motor/circuit board. It turns out its very east to remove the motor (follow the emergency sunroof closing procedure in your owners manual to access the motor, then remove the two Torx 25 screws. Make sure there isn't any tension on the sunroof though!). There is a black cover over the circuit board that is held in place with a Torx 20. Once removed, finesse the board cover off (the motor wires are tight). The board is mounted inside the cover. I used a small screw driver to gently pry the board out. I then sprayed the board down with electrical cleaner and lubricant from Radio Shack, then wiped it down after letting it soak for a minute. I then reassembled the motor and controller board and reinstalled it in the car. I tried the reset procedure again and viola! The sunroof now operates as it is supposed to.

Procedure for resetting the sunroof limits on an '02-05 996 and all 996TT's:
1. Press open button until it stops. Release button.
2. Press the open button again until it stops a second time (it should completely retract on the second push). Release button.
3. Press open button again and hold. After approximately 10 seconds, the top will cycle through close/lift/lower/open/close. Be sure to keep the button pressed the entire time until the top closes the second time, then release the button. You should now have one-touch!

I hope this may help someone else.

Brad
Mine started to play up last year. it worked, then didn't, then it worked and then gave up on one touch completely. Porsche wanted to replace the motor.

Today I came across your post and gave it a try again with your reset advice only. Once the process looped, it began to work via one touch.

Thanks mate! Beer on me!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:00 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Damn, next ignition cycle & the one touch is again not working! Must be the motor and it's memory?

Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Terminator
Damn, next ignition cycle & the one touch is again not working! Must be the motor and it's memory?

Same here, What part holds the memory? Is it losing power some how?

Old 04-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fierofly
Same here, What part holds the memory? Is it losing power some how?
I was told it's the motor. The chip is located there. Can someone confirm this?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:56 AM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
I came across this a few years ago and bookmarked this page. My sunroof was doing goofy things as well. I just reset the sunroof as you describe. Voila! It works. I was pricing new motors and the cheapest was $359.00. Great fix. Thank you.