996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Tiptronic shift point adjustments ???

Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM
caperss is on a distinguished road
Tiptronic shift point adjustments ???

Is it possible to adjust the shift points or downshift sensativity on my 996 with Tip? In traffic at slow speed if I want to go around someone I have to hit the downshift button on the wheel or the car upshifts as I lightly hit the gas defeating the pass. If I mash the gas it downshifts but I take off like a rocket not cool in heavy traffic. My wifes boxter does not do this hers is perfect very zippy and fun. My 911 has been modified a little, it has a Fabfource intake and mufflers dont know if the chip has been done since I am the second owner but this car feels like it upshifts when it should stay in gear or downshift w/o button input. No codes are set and no flashing 4th gear light. Any suggestions? If it were a GM product I would adjust the TV Cable but its not so I need some help with this. Thanks

Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
When you downshift via the buttons, it should remain in manual mode for 7 seconds. If you continue to accelerate, I believe it stays longer.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Yes that works correctly, it does remain for 7 sec and then go back to auto mode. Being lazy and just leaving it in auto with no button push I expect it to at least stay in the current gear if I lightly accellerate but it upshifts right away. Is this normal? Like I stated my wifes Boxster does not act this way. It kills any light accelleration and requires me to always use the button??? Is there a way to make it stay in gear or downshift earlier with a lighter gas peddal pressure? Do you think the mods are to blame since the wifes Boxster is stock? Lacking low speed performance and bumming out.....

Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
You could move the shifter into manual and it won't upshift automatically unless you hit the redline. Alternately, if you leave it in automatic mode, it should stay in the downshifted gear as long as you apply a bit more throttle.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks Bill, so I assume the throttle/shift sensativity is not adjustable.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 PM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
The Tip is adaptive, meaning it learns your driving style. I think I read somewhere of a procedure to reset it.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by ogun228
The Tip is adaptive, meaning it learns your driving style. I think I read somewhere of a procedure to reset it.
There is, but not sure it would help with this particular issue. It might be worth a try though.