996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Serpentine belt fray and coolant leak help

Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 AM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
Serpentine belt fray and coolant leak help

I was driving along yesterday about 40mph and noticed a few warning lights come on (! ABS and a couple others), so I immediately pulled over. My car is a 1999 911 C2 coupe with 74k miles.

Once pulled over, some white smoke was coming from the engine, and I noticed a trail of liquid about 20-30 feet long that ended up being coolant. A quick look under the hood showed some coolant splatter and a loose serpentine belt that had a little shred.

I'm going to go and get a belt and replace that and then fill it up with some water to see if I see a leak, but was wondering if it might be possible that the belt tore and lost tension, then caused the coolant to boil over and splatter? I read that it might be the water pump, but wanted to see if anyone had advice for other things to check and look at while I have the K&N intake taken off?

Thanks for your help!

Swaff

Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
I would first check for play in the water pump pulley. I bet that is it.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by jhthornley
Ok thank you, I will check that. If there is play, would that require a new water pump or simply tightening up the pulley on my current one?

Swaff

Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Probably the water pump. Mine went just out of no where also. It wasn't a bad job to change it,there is a good DIY on here or Renntech.org .

Old 06-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by jhthornley
The water pump pulley does have some play in it and it appears that it has budged outward a little (towards the bumper) making it contact the metal frame going across from left to right in there. I can see the pulley is maybe a half inch out of alignment with the other pulleys, so im guessing it knocked out, causing a misalignment and shredding the belt while spewing coolant all over the place.

I managed to get the old belt (that was half intact) all out of there and get most of the shards gone. It appears there are some shards wrapped tight around water pump pulley. I guess I'll try to order one or see how much it would be to have a shop do it. I'm confident I could do it, but I don't have a lift.

Swaff

Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
as mentioned above water pump DIY isn't too tough. but if you're not up for it, no biggie. just be glad that you caught it before it took a total dump on you, and think of the $ saved because of that.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM
revn29k00 is on a distinguished road
Make sure you get a porsche original water pump. From my experience and what I have read any oe supplier water pumps are inferior. I installed a Laso water pump last year and the bearing has already worn out. I'm waiting for my porsche water pump right now.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about this happening but just glad you caught it before. If you decide to do it yourself we have everything you need. For more information Click Here.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM
invius is on a distinguished road
+1 to water pump, DIY, and getting a genuine Porsche pump. There is also a great youtube video of it (except for the part where he starts putting silicone adhesive on the pump, no need to do this, the gasket holds it just fine). Good luck!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Got the water pump with metal impeller installed as well a new thermostat (went with the regular one instead of the low temp). The plastic impeller on the water pump had shattered and splintered shards up into the thermostat. Also got the coolant flushed and replaced with Porsche coolant. Looks like the original water pump made it to about 75k miles. Now, I'm back on the road!

Swaff

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Glad you got everything worked out and your back on the road. Happy motoring