996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Soft rubber tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Soft rubber tires?

I need to change my front tires right now Im running continentals 235/35/19
I also had the same brand in the rear. To many canyon roads and chew throw them in 45k miles I switched to hankook's they last a lot longer but I don't get the same grip with that I had with the continentals. For the front I would like a similar softer rubber as the continentals.

What do you guys recommend? Would you guys run a softer rubber on the front compared to the back?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You should always match front and rear tires. They should be the same brand, same model, same series, etc. Mixing tires will adversely impact handling, and it can be a significant impact.

You should also use Porsche recommended tire sizes in the front and rear to optimize performance. Obviously this won't happen in your case since Porsche doesn't recommend a 19" tire for the 996, but that's a topic for another thread...

Finally, if you're getting 45K miles out of a set of tires on a 996, then you are already getting 3x the normal life expectancy of tires for your car! There's always a trade off with every decision you make. Softer tires will generally provide more grip, but they wear faster. In my opinion, this is a good trade off for a 996.

Last edited by Dennis C; 06-16-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Dennis your right on the same brand and tire sizes for front and back. I had to change the rear to a slimmer tire brand cause the continentals were rubbing over bumps in the back and at the time the front tire showed almost no wear. So I was not going to change them. I could go to hankook for the front they are a little bit cheaper then the cont. I just don't like the way they handle.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Slopeslider is on a distinguished road
I just went with the Dunlop Direzza Z2s and if grip is what you are looking for, I would highly recommended then. They performed exceptionally well at the track last weekend. The only knock I would give them is they are a bit loud on the highway.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Whats the price for them?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Slopeslider is on a distinguished road
Bought them for around $1k for all four checkout tire rack.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Lots of people like Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on the 996. They are under $1,000 installed. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is also getting good reviews.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
As mentioned, same brand type front and rear. 45K on a set...wow.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Lots of people like Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on the 996. They are under $1,000 installed. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is also getting good reviews.
I put a set on my c4s. On every hard turn the PSM turns on. Maybe when the wear a little they will get some grip.

JB

Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM
I tried a set of the Sumis. I hated them and I'll never buy them again. However, lots of others seem to like them.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:01 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dennis C
You should always match front and rear tires. They should be the same brand, same model, same series, etc. Mixing tires will adversely impact handling, and it can be a significant impact.
This is good advise. Porsche cars are so well engineered that they don't behave well when tires are mixed. Slight changes in rubber compounds, interior constructions, and tread designs result in unfavorable response and tires that always feel a bit "off" of what they should be.

Please give me a call if you would like to discuss further or pick a set out. Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp