996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Another Trunk Lid Question

Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 PM
JohnnyRocker is on a distinguished road
Question Another Trunk Lid Question

I've never posted a question on here but I have found a lot of great advise. That advise now brings me to my first question... Thank you for reading and replying if you have any advise.

Summary: I opened the front trunk lid with the manual release cable behind the front passenger fender lining. Now I can't get the front trunk lid closed past the safety latch. The cable I pulled was very tight. I had someone push on the lid while I pulled. I didn't hear it pop open or feel anything really give much. Is it possible I just pulled it back enough for the trunk to lift a little enough to free the lid but the mechanism sated in the closed position?

Details below.......
===================================

I have a 2004 996 manual C4S Cab. The battery is new and I have no known mechanical or electrical issues.

- A few months ago the front luggage release switch wouldn't release the lid. I did hear the motor noise but never the "click" release. I tried the key fob. the inside release, all combinations of lock/unlock/key fob.... Since nothing was In the trunk I ignored it for a couple of days and then I decided to try it again and "click" it opened. From that point on until today I had no issues.

- Today I returned from an overnight trip and the lid wouldn't release again. This time I didn't even hear the motor noise when the fob or inside switch were engaged. I again tried all types of recommendations from this forum including pulling fuse C3. nothing helped. Needing to get things out of the trunk I followed the directions on using the manual release cable under the front passenger wheel liner. Now the trunk won't close. Also note, not if I press the fob or use the inside lid switch I do hear the motor run. I didn't hear the motor prior to getting it open today. the last time this happened I did hear the motor, but no "click" release.

An interesting observation that may not be related but... Both times the lid wouldn't open I had last open the convertible top with the key in the door while standing outside of the car. I almost always open and close it with the engine running while I'm sitting in the car. Maybe that's nothing but I thought I mention it since it was odd that I remembered it.

Looking for advise on:
(1) how to get the lid closed.
(2) What might be wrong with the release?

Thank you.

Last edited by JohnnyRocker; 06-23-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:54 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
only thing that occurs to me is what is the age/condition of the car battery?

Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 AM
The battery is new this year. No issue with it at all.

I have the trunk open now (manual release), but it wont close. Maybe the manual release didn't fully open it mechanism???

I can hear the actuator motor when I hit the switch. Maybe it's not strong enough???

Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Update:

I've pulled the lock mechanism from the frame. It is in the open position. The actuator and manual cable functions both work to pull the lock open, but the mechanism won't close (move all the way forward) once the lid pushes back down. I can push it closed with a screwdriver (force both the lid lever down while then pushing the lock mechanism forward to engage). There are no cables (actuator or manual) holding the lock mechanism back so it appears to be broken.

Conclusion- replace the lock mechanism.

Questions now:
(1) Any tips on how to remove and replace the hood lock mechanism?
(2) Should I go ahead and replace the actuator even if it appears to operate?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Fixed???

FIXED!

While I had the hood mechanism off and while I was forcing it to close (lock) with a screw driver I was also applying some 4-in-1 oil to the moving parts.

Now it's working! after letting is sit for 1/2 an hour I (manually with the lid open) pushed the lock forward and this time it clasped locked "click"! When I pushed the key fob hood button "click" it opened!!! Yes!

I put it all back together and closed the hood lid - "click" it closed/locked. I pushed the key fob hood release button - "click" it opened!....

I think I'm washing and driving my Porsche again today!!!!

Thank you for reading along....

Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem, but mine I heard the motor and the trunk would not click open / pop up. I changed the expensive latch and still the same. Then I read an old post that it is probably the solenoid. oddly, the post mentioned it only happened when it was hot. Same with me. So, I've got to get a trunk solenoid replaced. So, if you hear the mechanism with no results, you'll know to check the solenoid. Good luck and glad you got your issue fixed.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Thank you. A few months ago mine did the same. I heard the solenoid but never the click/pop. A few days later I tried it and it popped.... I don't recall temperature being an issue but I will keep that in mind.

This time it was different. I never heard the solenoid. I really think the mechanism was stuck as I really had to pull hard on the cable while someone pushed on the lid (CPR style) to pop it.

I'm going to keep a coating of WD-40 on the mechanism as part of my routine maintenance. If it keeps happening I'll replace the mechanism and solenoid, but hopefully a little oil will keep it working.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Wausau 911 is on a distinguished road
Very satisfying to fix your own problem- congratulations!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
This must be a common problem cause mine will not "click" or pop up when I use the inside button. I can hear the motor turn but no go on the "click" and pop. If I use the key and grab the hood on the corner then I am fine, it opens right up. I think I might try and grease the moving parts and if that doesn't work I'll try the solenoid. What an annoying thing when you need something in the trunk. I purposely don't put things in there for that fact lol.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Good to hear you solved the problem!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
The Good, The Bad, and the time to order a new part......

The good: I fixed it once and it worked for a few days.

The Bad: Today it won't open..... I can hear the actuator try to open it, but no "click".... The actuator sounds week.

Next step: I'm going to take ParkCity's advice and swap out the actuator. I just ordered part #996-511-127-00-M100 from Pelican Parts. My thought is that the actuator lost power after 9 years.... If I'm wrong then the mechanism is the next part to be replaced. At least I don't have anything in the trunk and I am driving the car while the part is shipping.

There's one more good thing I did this weekend..... While I had the wheel liner out and the emergency hood release cable exposed, I attached an extension cable and attached it to my side marker wire. Now I will be able to pop the hood by accessing the cable through the side marker (hopefully) without having to jack the car and remove the liner......

Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Since you have been in and out of the wheel lines a bit, can you tell me exactly where I should be able to locate the unlocking wire? Thx & good Luck!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
Yep, the solenoid will play tricks on you. Works sometimes and just chooses not to others. Strange. Was yours heated up when it didn't work. For some reason mine opens when cool, but no when hot. I'd read this before too. Keep me apprised as to you new part and if it solved it. Thanks and good luck.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Wausau: The cable is toward the front of the car between the headlight and the hood (call it upper left area as you're looking forward). It is a cable with a looped end way up front. I had to use a hanger to reach back and hook the loop since its too far to reach your hand.

ParkCity: I had just pulled in the garage from a 45 minute commute in 90 degree sunshine. The bottle of white lithium grease I ordered was here when I got home so I decided to apply it. the hood "clicked" open and I thought everything was still fine, but once I applied the grease and shut the lid it wouldn't open again. I tried it right away, but the noise from the motor sounded weak and there was no "click".... Temperature wise it opened as soon as I got home and within 15 minutes it wouldn't have changed much sitting out of the sun in my garage.

I think you're right and it might open again in a day or two. This did happen a few months ago and it opened a few days later (and continued opening for months before this weekend). I feel I have the mechanism loose with oil and now grease. I will carefully inspect it when I have it back open. I think starting with the $90 actuator whish looks to be an easy swap is the best next step. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I have had my headlights off, can the cable be found from inside the trunk through a headlight opening? If not do I really need to remove the Rt wheel? Can the wheel liner just be pulled back a bit to reach the cable? Thx JR for your response.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Another Trunk Lid Question