996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C4s front diff drip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
C4s front diff drip

So, I took my front spindles off to update my suspension. This isn't the first time I have done this but, this time I noticed after I put the cv into the front diff there is diff fluid dripping. I thought at first maybe it is from when I took the spline out of the diff that some fluid managed to come out and it is dripping.

I kept and eye on it long enough to know fluid is escaping somehow. I know on many other cars that on the end of the spline there is a locking ring that stops the cv from pushing back out of the transmission/differential but, I don't think that would be the case as to why fluid is able to escape. If anyone has any ideas I am all ears.

I have to get this done soon because the Le Mans races at Lime Rock are coming up and it has become tradition for my father and I to bring our Porsches up and watch the races.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
My front differential started to leak just before it failed. I had it rebuilt last year. The bearings were badly worn, and I had the viscous coupling replaced.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
Oh lord that isn't what I was hoping to hear lol. It was perfectly fine until I pulled the cv out. It has never leaked or anything. I have yet to have any issues with the car yet and I've had it for 3 years. I hope my luck hasn't run out lol.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
My C4S began to make some noise from the front differential prior to the leak and failure. At first, it was a subtle gear whine. It began to get a little louder and then suddenly it got much louder - right about the time the leak started.

Is yours whining at all?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Oh no, my situation is nothing like that. There is no noises or anything. I took the cv joint out when I took the spindle off. When I put it back in the leak started which leads me to believe there is a ring or something that came off in the process. There is nothing wrong with the car what so ever (that I know of lol), it drives and runs immaculate.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PoRsChE_ShIfTiN
Oh no, my situation is nothing like that. There is no noises or anything. I took the cv joint out when I took the spindle off. When I put it back in the leak started which leads me to believe there is a ring or something that came off in the process. There is nothing wrong with the car what so ever (that I know of lol), it drives and runs immaculate.
my axle slipped out a tad when installing coilovers and it leaked a bit, double check those.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Nine, that's exactly what happened but, it's continuing to drip. Do you think I may not have pushed it back in enough? I should have thrown some grease on it and given it a good push.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
potentially, the seal could be damaged as well. How bad is it? trickle or steady drip?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM
It's just a little, I look every time I go to take the car out. It's not a steady drip or anything. It's very slow

Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I ordered the seals for the diff part# 999.113.454.40. I second day aired them in order to get them for this weekend and I will replace them and be all set.

Name:  image-994433300.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  498.1 KB

In the meantime here is how she will sit

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
When I installed my coil overs I pulled the half shafts out of the differential. Taking the nut off at the wheel carrier take something like 350 lbs of torque. The first time I reinstalled the shafts into the differential I did not push the all the way in and soon I was leaking fluid. I tapped them in with a wood drift, refilled the differential and have not had a leak since (3+ years).

Old 06-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Dharn55, I think that may be the case with mine. I am almost 100% positive it is but, I bought the rings cause I already have it all dismantled so I might as well change the rings incase there is a little rip. I don't want to put it all back together then have to take it all back apart again.