996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Resetting 'Range' from KM to Miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Grant1974 is on a distinguished road
Resetting 'Range' from KM to Miles

Hello All!

I am the proud owner of a C2 (996), which was picked up yesterday and has put a huge smile on my face ever since. I am completely new to this forum, so please be gentle with me!

My car was originally an import, where the set up was in Km and not Miles. The garage that sold it to me has set the digital speedo to miles, however I have two issues that I need to address.

1. The Range display, showing how much distance I have left to travel before getting my wallet out, is still in km (Nearly got caught out on the way home!). Is there an easy way to change this to miles? I have seen information on the net that discussed changing the speedo digital reading, but not the Range.

2. I will eventually need to replace the face of the dial speedo to miles. I have seen cheap options on ebay etc, but would like any suggestions as to the best way to change the dial face, without loosing any quality and keeping the best look - without spending an arm and a leg!

Thanks in advance!

Grant

Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
It is part of the on board computer options. You can set if you want to read in miles or kilometers. For fuel, it goes to mpg or l/100km. It is right there on the digital display at the bottom of the tach and you use the stalk on the left hand side of the steering to navigate through the menus.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Grant1974
Hello All!

I am the proud owner of a C2 (996), which was picked up yesterday and has put a huge smile on my face ever since. I am completely new to this forum, so please be gentle with me!

My car was originally an import, where the set up was in Km and not Miles. The garage that sold it to me has set the digital speedo to miles, however I have two issues that I need to address.

1. The Range display, showing how much distance I have left to travel before getting my wallet out, is still in km (Nearly got caught out on the way home!). Is there an easy way to change this to miles? I have seen information on the net that discussed changing the speedo digital reading, but not the Range.

2. I will eventually need to replace the face of the dial speedo to miles. I have seen cheap options on ebay etc, but would like any suggestions as to the best way to change the dial face, without loosing any quality and keeping the best look - without spending an arm and a leg!

Thanks in advance!

Grant
Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Thank so much. Will give it a go when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Hiya,

I followed the instructions on the you tube clip, but have a problem. When i push the stalk forward to access the computer settings menu, it has no effect. Im not sure if this is due to a faulty stalk or if it is something i am doing wrong? I am doing this whilst the engine is running.....

The stalk does work when pushing up, down and pulling towards me, but nothing happens when pushing it towards the dash?

Hopefully someone can tell me i am being an idiot, and get me sorted!!

Thanks
Grant

Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
If that is the case, then I believe the stalk is not functioning properly as the video describes it 100% accurately. Think of pushing the lever "forward" (as if you want to touch the dash with it) as the "enter" key on a device.

It is also my understanding that if you press and hold the reset button to the left (or is it right?!) that the speedometer reading will change from mph to kmh. Not sure if it will help you with range remaining, but better than nothing I guess!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks, I will try an persevere but suspect it is faulty.

Its no big issue, but just annoying!!

Cheers