996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Quick question for a new guy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM
mrdezyne is on a distinguished road
Quick question for a new guy.

I have my manual ordered and I have searched as best I could without knowing the proper name for this part. Can someone tell me what this is on the rear right side of the motor? Sorry for newbie question, I'm still soaking it all in.

2000 3.4l

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Ok, let me back out a little and give you a better idea of what I'm looking at. I'm getting just a drop of oil here every now and then and I'd like to have an idea of what kind of problem it might become.

Is this just the bottom of the cylinder head where it attaches to the block?

Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mrdezyne
Ok, let me back out a little and give you a better idea of what I'm looking at. I'm getting just a drop of oil here every now and then and I'd like to have an idea of what kind of problem it might become.

Is this just the bottom of the cylinder head where it attaches to the block?

Forget that, I want to know how you got your car to float on air!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
me too

sorry, can't ID the part for you, but I too want to know how you managed to levitate your car?????

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
There are quite a few situations that could produce oil there. Since 2000, I would guess spark plug tubes. On my past '99 I found a faulty o-ring install from the factory. However, there was a sooty trail around the area to the drip.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
That's where the head attaches to the crankcase. Pretty cool looking picture

Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM
I'll try to check spark plug tubes, thanks for the hint. Someone also suggested a ruptured motor mount which I am leaning toward since I remember hitting a good bump the other day and it sounded like something bottomed out. I'm sitting on H&R coilovers set at ROW ride height and alignment, not perfect for the roads around here...

Transparent Aluminum jack stands...