996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

idles rough and stalls, need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
kdiro is on a distinguished road
idles rough and stalls, need help!

on a drive home the other day the car started to idle very rough, did not react well to throttle changes (engine surged up/down in rpm) and stalled every time i came to a stop. cel light came on. put a evoms air intake in about 2 months ago with the fister exhaust w/o problems until now, had the 60K service done around 66K last fall and have only put 800 miles on since. any ideas?? '00 996 cab.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Did the filter get wet? I know when i first put my K&N in,on a good rainy day or a car wash if enough water got on the filter the car would run like crap till the filter was dry. Also could be the oil on the filter is all over your mass air flow sensor and is not reading correctly. I changed mine to a AEM Dry Filter.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM
noz1974 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kdiro
on a drive home the other day the car started to idle very rough, did not react well to throttle changes (engine surged up/down in rpm) and stalled every time i came to a stop. cel light came on. put a evoms air intake in about 2 months ago with the fister exhaust w/o problems until now, had the 60K service done around 66K last fall and have only put 800 miles on since. any ideas?? '00 996 cab.
You might have an air leak on the induction side, that can cause these symptoms
Regards Lee

Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
kdiro is on a distinguished road
looks like the problem is fixed, the hose clamp came off the air intake at the throttle body and the connection to the EVOMS unit came out of the hose. cleaned the MAF, disassembled the EVOMS unit and reassembled everything. runs like a champ now. had to disconnect the battery to clear the CEL. hopefully this takes care of it.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Glad to see you found the problem and thank you for the follow up. Keep us posted if it happens again.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Mike 996C4 is on a distinguished road
Hey man,

Funny I did the exact upgrades that you did also ... Evo intake with the Fister exhaust (car sounds amazing!) .. but I have been getting a CEL light ever since ... Many people told me I need to tune the computer now because of the air / gas ratio has increased ... and the stock computer doesn't know whats going on ... I just wrote a post about it tonight explaining my problem, looking for some advice also ... my car wasn't stalling but when I cleared the codes on the CEL .. was getting rough idle ... not steady .. going up and down a bit when cold ... when warmed up got a bit better but still wasn't as steady like it used to be before upgrades ... check out my post for a more detailed description ...
Good luck!