996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 3.4 M96 Rebuilds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
batman46 is on a distinguished road
996 3.4 M96 Rebuilds

Thought I would post this in this group to help anyone looking for a total engine rebuild to their 996 M96 engine. Feel free to contact me with any details. Good luck with your own rebuild.

Update on the UFO Motorsport rebuild: I just got home from driving my car back to norCal from Long Beach! Man, Tim, at UFO did a PHENOMENAL job on my car!! And he was true to his estimate, which is an even rarer commodity with Porsche mechanics from my experience! Driving back up on 101, that car PURRED. What was done: a new clutch along with a complete rebuild, a new plastic coolant tank (old one was yellowing and was recommended to replace), NO extra labor for same. The rebuild was done with both original heads, even when a timing chain broke a fin on the inside of the head. Tim welded the piece back in place after checking that no cracks existed in the head itself. The IMS actually did not fail and it is suspected that because I only had 67,000 miles on the car, the chain may have worn out from not enough regular lubrication. High RPM's on these cars mean more oil to the engine everywhere. Not driving enough miles every day (10 miles commute total) could have caused the chain to wear the guide prematurely. Meanwhile, Tim used upgraded RMS and IMS bearings, all new moving parts that can get wear, a new fuel pump, new cams, etc. He also took the car apart and put it back together, and tuned it to perfection, all for the same price. I personally felt like I was driving a brand new car home, with a seamless connection between smooth engine RPM, shifting, accelerating and idle. One other thing: Tim rebuilt this car and had it ready for me to pick up in 10 days!! One other place in SoCal who I talked with wanted 3 1/2 months!!! UFO Motorsport is THE WAY TO GO! Thanks, Tim.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 AM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a happy customer. What did you end up paying for the rebuild?

I'm too new to send you a PM and was denied.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 AM
Medcap: The bill was $7500 plus I bought the new clutch kit as flywheel was still good for $480 and had it sent to UFO. I also bought a new engine coolant reservoir because it was getting yellow and could leak at some point which was another $200. The towing cost from Santa Rosa, CA was only $250 because UFO has a transport truck that runs each week to the Bay Area and back. Total cost: $8430 plus taxes. AND Tim found two bolts missing on a right front strut, replaced them and tightened the remaining third bolt at no extra charge. This guy has integrity!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Batman,
Sounds like you made the right choice going with Jason & Tim over at UFO. The silver 996 mk1 aero over there with parts cramed in the cab is mine...LOL
We are doing a built 3.8l from the 3.4 stock block with a single gt37 turbo.

Last edited by BiteEmNBeatEm; 08-18-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:57 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
great to hear of such a positive experience. I'm afraid that is getting more rare in all circles nowadays.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 PM
What it took to find a good solution

You guys, by using EBay as the initial source, then verifying the two companies from checking blogs, and finally by talking with Tim and the other company competing with them, there slowly began to be no question who was the right choice, hands down. And yes, I am a happy camper and yes, the experience of working with Porsche mechanics who really go the extra mile to keep their word, do great work, and keep costs inline with the budget, is indeed a rare experience. The fact that Tim has been doing this for 31 years helps and the fact that he knows each job builds from the one before it, all makes UFO Motorsport THE place for a rebuild. Sure you can find very competent mechanics, engine rebuilders closer to your home, but can you afford what they do? Only if price is no problem and really, how many people don't have a budget, regardless of how much money they have? Every day I start up the Batmobile, I thank Tim and smile as I pull out onto the highway with that silky smooth idle rasping up to a quick acceleration and silky smooth shift through the gears.....nuff said.