996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

1999 C4 Cel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:21 PM
bmtbandit is on a distinguished road
1999 C4 Cel

I am getting a P1126 and 1133 CEL light. Before this I would get the PSM and ABS warning at high RPM and hard acceleration.

Is this most likely the MAF, I have heard it could also be the AOS but I removed the oil cap it removes easily and the engine slightly increases RPM, the is a slight suction when I put my hand over teh whole but almost not noticable.

What is everyones more experienced opinion.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
bmtbandit is on a distinguished road
Cleaned the MAF, Reset the Code.
Engine ran real rough initially and after about 3 minutes smoothed out and seems to be running good. Does this make sense or lead to another different issue?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmtbandit
I am getting a P1126 and 1133 CEL light. Before this I would get the PSM and ABS warning at high RPM and hard acceleration.

Is this most likely the MAF, I have heard it could also be the AOS but I removed the oil cap it removes easily and the engine slightly increases RPM, the is a slight suction when I put my hand over teh whole but almost not noticable.

What is everyones more experienced opinion.
At the top of the list of possible causes is an air intake leak. MAF is not listed as a possible cause. However, inexplicable PSM and ABS warnings have been attributed to a failing MAF in the past. These systems rely upon info derived from the MAF outputs.

So MAF is a possibiity. You removed it, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. See if the error codes come back.Then consider this test: Disconnect the MAF; clear the error codes; drive the car sans no MAF and see if the error codes come back.

A failing AOS can be an intake air leak and the AOS can't be eliminated by the oil filler tube cap removal check. The oil cap was not hard to remove that's for sure and the engine reacted like it should, but failing AOS's (as is the case with other items) don't always fail and stay failed. Sometimes their failure is intermittent. Just shutting off the engine upon restart can have a malfunctioning piece of hardware especially something like the MAF working just fine, for a while.

Fuel pressure can be low, fuel injectors contaminated or the fuel volume low.

How's the fuel filter?

Hard to imagine how all 6 injectors can get contaminated at the same time unless you filled up the tank with paint varnish... You can try a bottle or two of Techron. Use according to directions but my preference would be to first be sure there is no intake leak.