996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
hules98 is on a distinguished road
need some advice

im looking for my 1st porsche (just sold my 07 corvette) im not sure between what model. i think i narrowed it down to a 996 either a C4S or a turbo i found a couple nice ones. the C4S is perfect but it has an accident on carfax ive had it inspected and did as much research as i could do. do i walk from it and keep looking? its an 03 with 36k miles carbon pkg. ims rms & clutch all done they are asking $38. or he also has a couple turbos one 01 48k miles for $42 & an 02 turbo with x50 tip for $49. any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Both are wonderful choices. I think the C4S is the best looking 996 variant ever built. The lines of the car are broken up on the turbo with the rear spoiler and the turbo inter-cooler vents on the rear fenders. That being said, the Metzger engine used in the turbo and GT3 is one of the best engines that Porsche has ever made, based on he original GT1 engine.

The C4S has the same suspension and brakes as the turbo. That combination is magical on a car that has less horsepower than the turbo. It's very fun and satisfying to drive. The turbo has astonishing performance and is truly an affordable super-car.

You can't go wrong with either choice, but you should drive them both and then decide.

Have fun with the process...

Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM
I have driven both I'm leaning towards C4S bc
Of I also like color combo & package BUT the darn
Accident on carfax..also I think it's in better shape than turbo. I'm afraid in a couple years I want a turbo & I can't sell C4S for the same reason I'm leary about buying it

Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
do more research, test drive both models (i would rule out a tip unless you really really do not want a 6 speed) figure out exactly which model you want then find the perfect one, sounds like you are jumping into one of these cars just because they are available right now

i looked at a c4s and then drove a turbo, i bought a turbo, took a few months to find the right one but i'm glad i waited, there are plenty out there, dont compromise, dont be afraid to buy one that isnt in your town, if you are spending this kind of money be prepared to travel for the perfect car.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 AM
I kind of agree with you drove a turbo manual & I loved it wasn't really keen on color combo. The C4S is optioned out of what I want & color I want. Also it's at a price I feel comfortable with. Im not sure i can find a turbo in the low 40s that is in as good of shape as C4S. Thanks for input I appreciate all the help. I probably gonna keep looking

Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
but it has a dirty carfax, i hate carfax but most buyers thinks its the be all and end all of buying a car so be prepared to have trouble selling or trading it, personally i wouldnt buy a car like this with a dirty carfax unless i was 100% positive that i never planned on selling it

Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 AM
What is the difference I maintenance costs between a C4S & a turbo. Is it a big difference some people on here say it is.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
What is the difference I maintenance costs between a C4S & a turbo. Is it a big difference some people on here say it is.
Are you planning on doing any maintenance yourself, or always bringing it into the shop?

Honestly, if the answer is 'always bringing it into the shop', I'd probably suggest neither, but here is the tradeoff:

The Turbo definitely has a bit more maintenance and some of the maintenance procedures involve more disassembly, making it more expensive to service (example: changing the spark plugs on a turbo typically means removing the entire rear bumper)... But the turbo also uses a Metzger engine without any intermediate shaft bearing issues instead of the M96 engine and is considered a much more robust engine. If you end up needing to replace the IMSB on the C4S, thats a bunch of extra cost right there that closes the gap quite a bit. If you end up trashing an M96 motor because you ignored a failing IMSB, the repair cost will make the Turbo maintenance look positively cheap.

If you like the flared-out widebody syle, personally I think a turbo is definitely the way to go, but make sure you find a nice one that has been impeccably maintained.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-29-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Buy the turbo if you can swing it. You always wish you did if you don't. I would not buy any car with a bad carfax unless you have proof of the damages and you keep that proof when you go to resell it.