996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 rear bumper - turbo style

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM
rlim is on a distinguished road
996 rear bumper - turbo style

I'm looking to update my 996 with a GT2 style front bumper, TA skirt, and turbo style rear bumper. I've paid a visit to the bodyshop today to see how they're making out and to my disappointment, things are now going as well as I would hoped. The bodyshop is running into all sorts of challenges with the rear bumper installation. The muffler does not align with the bumper cutouts. I've included some pictures and I'm wondering if those folks who have encountered similar challenges could share some tips on addressing them. The bodyshop will be removing the mufflers in order to complete the bumper installation. I will have to take it to a muffler shop later to see if they can align it.

I've been told the front bumper rebar is too long and conflicts with the air ducts of the GT2 style bumper. It may have to be trimmed to fit.

This project is becoming a bit of a nightmare. Any tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images      
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Snowball350 is on a distinguished road
seems like you will need the C4s extension pipes (not sure if that's the right part name), but essentially it looks like you need your exhaust to align with the positioning on a C4s or Turbo model.

I am however selling my turbo style rear bumper for 400 dollars. It's already painted black and fits my 2003 C2 without any modification to the stock exhaust. FedEx freight quoted me 200 for shipping. If you are interested, I may be a little flexible on the price. It is from Precision Porsche and is in perfect shape. Here is the listing to the ad in the Marketplace. PM me if you want to talk.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mper-sale.html

Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
the front rebar does have to be cut or painted to blend in, the rear bumper is usually cut down the middle in the rear and narrowed a bit as it is too wide to line up with the narrow body fenders....this is not a bolt on process....look into it, it's more involved then most want to deal with thats why there are aftermarket companies that have created replicas that bolt right up.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Snowball, I will keep your offer in mind as the very last resort. The paint colour of my car is Vesuvius Grey ... which is somewhat purple/grey. The bumper will have to be repainted

Sharp
I will be dropping by the garage today and will advise them on cutting it. I originally ordered the narrow body bumper and they messed up my order and sent me the C4S bumper. Problem is the shipping cost back to California which is at my expense.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 AM
carcster88 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rlim
Snowball, I will keep your offer in mind as the very last resort. The paint colour of my car is Vesuvius Grey ... which is somewhat purple/grey. The bumper will have to be repainted

Sharp
I will be dropping by the garage today and will advise them on cutting it. I originally ordered the narrow body bumper and they messed up my order and sent me the C4S bumper. Problem is the shipping cost back to California which is at my expense.
If your order sheet shows they sent you the wrong part....and it was their fault.....I would raise hell that they would not send the correct narrow body part and shipping. What company did you buy it from?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Was the company Hofele by any chance ?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rlim
?...t and to my disappointment, things are now going as well as I would hoped. The bodyshop is running into all sorts of challenges with the rear bumper installation. Thanks
Unfortunately, there is TONS of information out here stating exactly that. They are not comparable with your car and you should have researched it better. Your two choices are to go back to stock, or another, bumper. OR pay a shop with custom fabrication expertise to build you a bumper cover.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 AM
To make the exhaust outlets line up right you'll need the C4S connection pipes and a set of clamps. Suncoast has them, (around 130 for the pipes).

If you're successfull fitting the bumper, please post some pics !

Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Deversteve, I did my research and ordered the narrow body rear bumper. The mistake was the vendor who shipped me the incorrect body. The vendor recognized his error and is willing to exchange the bumper. I won't reveal the company name as he was willing to correct his mistakes.

Anyway, I've decided not to return the rear bumper after further discussion with the body shop owner. He had additional time to reassess the challenge and explained to me his plan on trimming/modifying the bumper. I told him I've read on the forum about custom shops narrowing the bumper by cutting it in half and resizing it. He disagreed as he stated it will weaken the bumper. He took on the project without increasing the cost of his original quote.

I've included some pictures. I've included a couple of pictures which was taken today with the owner cutting the holes for the rear license plate light and one of the front bumper ready to be mounted. There is also a lip for the front bumper (not shown) which is painted black.

The car will be ready tomorrow ... I will take additional pictures of the complete project.

Snowball, thanks for the info on C4S tailpipes. Will the tailpipe be a direct fit or will it still require a muffler shop to modify it? I was planning on taking my stock tailpipe to a muffler shop to extend it..

Attached Images      

Last edited by rlim; 08-29-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 AM
The C4S extension pipes are a direct fit because the cans/mufflers in the C4S and C2 are the same. I know this because my C2 has this set up. The pipes will bring the exhaust exit points further in towards the center to line up with the bunper. You will however need C4S exhaust tips. I got mine from Maxspeed, they are X50 replicas and look great. Here's a link to the website:
http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996tttips.html#

Let me know if you have any other questions, and post more pics once she's finished. Good luck to you.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Also, forgot to mention, you'll need a set of clamps for the extension pipes. If you order from suncoast, just tell them what you're trying to do and they'll know which clamps you'll need.

Unfortunately, for the pipes, clamps and tips it'll probably cost around $600

Old 08-30-2013, 08:36 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
how is he making it fit if hes not going to cut it ?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Snowball350
Also, forgot to mention, you'll need a set of clamps for the extension pipes. If you order from suncoast, just tell them what you're trying to do and they'll know which clamps you'll need.

Unfortunately, for the pipes, clamps and tips it'll probably cost around $600
-----------------------------

I'm hoping to be able to reuse my tips. I'll take it to a local muffler shop and see if they can extend it. I've included a few pictures of the completed project. I'm contemplating whether I should add a GT2 rear spoiler next ....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2219.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	963.2 KB
ID:	276804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2220.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	940.5 KB
ID:	276805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2221.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	954.3 KB
ID:	276806  

Last edited by rlim; 09-01-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 PM
mlandingin177 is on a distinguished road
Looks good. Do you have any pics from the rear?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Turned out great rlim!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 rear bumper - turbo style