996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

$450 for new key from dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
$450 for new key from dealer?

Guys, my key is not working. The remote stopped working to unlock and lock the car with remote control and now the car won't even start. I tried to program the key learn system and must have wiped out the transponder some how.

Is $450 a decent price for new key and programming from dealer? Can an indy do it for cheaper?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Got mine in the winter for $370 from Ray Catena Porsche in Edison,NJ. Thats with programing and the key. I got the color crest in the key as well.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 PM
okay, yeah so a little bit higher. lot more porsches in NJ then in WA for sure.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM
having competition is good for the consumer. only 2 porsche dealer in the Seattle area.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 AM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
I don't think Indy shops can do the key...

Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Indy's can do the key as long as you have a couple of items.

1. Need to the get XXXXXX learn code from the dealer just bring your registration to show proof of ownership. The learn code is comprised of 6 mixed letters/numbers for example 88a8b8. With this you can program the transponders/pills to the car.

2. Need the white paper tag that comes with the key heads to program the remote for the lock/unlock button feature. Now if the lock/unlock feature stops working for any reason as long as you have the white paper key tag it consists of 24 numbers and letters and is right below the bar code example:

4d 4d 8e e8 8r 9e 1d 9e d1 g8 e0 9e

No more need to do the weird turns and taking keys out etc like unlocking video games codes back in the days lol

If you have both 1 and 2 above and have your id and registration. I will be happy to do this for you for half the price of the stealer. $50 for 1 key or all 4 keys. Just send me an email/pm. Seriously only takes less then a couple of minutes to program the keys with the software as long as you have the learn code and key tag.

I hope this helps as many have this frustration.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
High! I paid $275 for a spare when I bought my car.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
We can get you a new transponder and then you can have the dealer program it for you. It usually take about a half hour of labor and should save you some money. For more information Click Here.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
We can get you a new transponder and then you can have the dealer program it for you. It usually take about a half hour of labor and should save you some money. For more information Click Here.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...301/ES1495042/

OMG...$159.45...if it comes new with the white 24 digit/letter key code then I got swindled once again by the dealer?! I just paid $288 for just the remote head. Not including blade or the cost to program.

Thanks for posting the link. I know where I'm buying my next remote if mine goes bad again.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by medcap
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...301/ES1495042/

OMG...$159.45...if it comes new with the white 24 digit/letter key code then I got swindled once again by the dealer?! I just paid $288 for just the remote head. Not including blade or the cost to program.

Thanks for posting the link. I know where I'm buying my next remote if mine goes bad again.
I wouldn't say you got "swindled." You just didn't shop around before you bought it from them. They charged full retail, and that's capitalism. "Swindled" is what happens sometimes when you buy off of E-bay from some guy in Hong Kong, and the cheap piece of crap thing doesn't work or fit as advertised, and the cost to return it is about what you paid in the first place.

$450.00 is about normal for key replacement and re-code at many Porsche dealers that I've seen. I had to get one for a Boxster a couple of years ago, and that's what the dealer in Springfield, MO charged. (They DID check my fluids and clean my windshield as well though, so...)

BTW, from what I've been told, keys for all cars MY '05 and after HAVE to be programmed by the dealer through an internet connection with Porsche NA in Florida, so be prepared for that shocker if you ever get into a 997 or 987.

Last edited by JB in AR; 08-13-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by JB in AR
I wouldn't say you got "swindled." You just didn't shop around before you bought it from them. They charged full retail, and that's capitalism. "Swindled" is what happens sometimes when you buy off of E-bay from some guy in Hong Kong, and the cheap piece of crap thing doesn't work or fit as advertised, and the cost to return it is about what you paid in the first place.

$450.00 is about normal for key replacement and re-code at many Porsche dealers that I've seen. I had to get one for a Boxster a couple of years ago, and that's what the dealer in Springfield, MO charged. (They DID check my fluids and clean my windshield as well though, so...)

BTW, from what I've been told, keys for all cars MY '05 and after HAVE to be programmed by the dealer through an internet connection with Porsche NA in Florida, so be prepared for that shocker if you ever get into a 997 or 987.
That's what they said about my 996. Car wasn't starting so Larson's Porsche in Tacoma said the immobilizer could only be used once along with the DME. They said it could not be reprogrammed. They said I needed a new DME and immobilizer box the bill would be about $6,0000. Glad I found another way as both parts were still working fine.

If you have 997/987 it's still worth something and you have tons of money anyways so who cares about thousand dollar plus service bills. First local person in need of a new remote program on a 997 I will do a free test program if you bring both learn code and 24 digit/letter remote code/white tag.

Both explains of capitalism are swindling in my book lol.

For everyone else here's another link from Rector Porsche in CA for a remote head for $182.66. Do a search for 99663724301 for the remote head on any online porsche parts dealer.
http://www.porschepartsnationwide.co.../911/index.cfm

CA dealer far cheaper then WA Porsche dealers at $288+

Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
That's about right for a programmed key.