996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How many members have done the IMS Solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 PM
caperss is on a distinguished road
How many members have done the IMS Solution?

I know a lot of you have said that you have installed upgraded IMS bearing retrofits but I am curious, How many have done the IMS solution?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Snowball350 is on a distinguished road
not sure how you will be able to tell from a thread, but I had it done at 15,000 miles. For me it was the piece of mind it gave me and the difference between a $1,800 repair today or the possibility of a $15,000 repair down the road, which would most likely cause me to give the car up entirely.

And now, I no longer look at the ground under the motor for a dreaded oil leak !

Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 PM
carcster88 is on a distinguished road
I did it same time my clutch was replaced....and the other stuff do do when you have the opportunity.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 PM
We are talking about the pressure fed bearing like a main bearing not the ball bearing right?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Have a 2001 with 36000 miles on it. havnt done it. I am thinking of doing it maybe next season and at the same time changeing the clutch.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Just having second thoughts, Im scheduled to have it done at the end of the month, it's pricey and just curious how many members have had it done and if they were satisfied with the results.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Well if you reed about the problem on internet you shuld defently have it done.

I Went down to my local porsche dealer and asked them. They told me thaht, sure if brakes but not that many, and its not that commans as you think.

There recomendation where not to change unless you where there and removing the gearbox for example changening the cluth.

They told me they where checking at the service after metal in the oil and if the seal was leaking. If all all looked good, then they absolut did not recomend to change.

I recon you sleep better at night if you get it changed though

Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 AM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Do it - well worth the safety cost and also may help resale value.

I asked my Indy to save the old bearing - it looked flawless...and I had it done at 38k miles. But you never know. The old original bearing makes a great paperweight in my office in NYC though...what a great starter to a conversation!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 AM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
1999 C2 Cab 92,000 Miles Not Done

Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM
west coast is on a distinguished road
As the manufacturer will not sell the "solution" to just anyone. They only do the install at their own facility I believe, you will not see many out there yet as this is a fairly new product there will not be much feedback available. This is not the replacement bearing that has been on the market for while, a new product.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:10 PM
It is the solution to the problem and the shop doing it helped develop it. Even after it is done I could always have a bad day. I guess its part of owning these cars and sure better than having to replace the engine. Any mishaps after the solution should not be catastrophic I would think, not to the point I wouldnt be able to repair the break. I'm going to do it!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:09 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Did the upgrade, yhe "solution" was not out when I did it. Very happy with the bearing upgrade though.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
I did the retrofit, not the solution (wasn't available at the time).

for anyone that has done 'the solution' what is involved from an installation perspective and how much did you pay for install (if you don't mind my asking)?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
132k miles, on original clutch so not done and not planning to...

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
If you're very confident (going by statistics) that it won't happen to your car, you're fine. But even if you have the minutest inkling of doubt on "what if" - you've fallen into the well, and the only way out is to have the bearing retro-fitted/fixed. If nothing, the money you spend would be for your peace of mind. I had mine retrofitted soon after I purchased the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many members have done the IMS Solution?