996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Resale Mod Poll/Question - Nav upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Sepman1 is on a distinguished road
Resale Mod Poll/Question - Nav upgrade

I just picked up a 2004 Turbo Cab with factory Nav and Bose system. Great condition and <35k miles.

I want to upgrade to a Kenwood DNX890 HD ( I want bluetooth, Pandora etc)
- being a 2004 model this will require some rewiring and the addition of an amp (Intrinsic Bose problem detailed on this forum)

Reputable installer will do the whole install - including parts and labor around 2,200.

Claims that for around $300 he can reverse it to stock if needed.

Question is -

Will this hinder (or help) the sale of this vehicle in the near future if I only plan on having it for 2-3 years?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
They make kits for the cars to add bluetooth,ipod,etc... to the stock radios. I have one in my Cayenne and it works great. Not sure if they will have bluetooth kits for the 04 PCM. Company's to look at: MoBridge,Dension,Nav Tv.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:14 AM
yo_clarkie is on a distinguished road
I have put the Kenwood in mine and have all the factory bits in a box, the MOST wires are still in place so an easy refit. I see this as value neutral. Most people will appreciate the newer technology, and if they don't the inclusion of the factory bits will keep them happy.

The Kenwood Class D Amp fits nicely in the CD changer space too :-)

Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
personally i would buy a car with a nice h/u over a car with the crappy becker unit any day, it would be a big plus for me, maybe there are some purists who want the car looking bone stock in every way but i would think they are in the minority.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I put a Kenwood in my car,got a double din kit off ebay with the Porsche logo on it. The radio has orange lights so it dow look pretty factory.

Plastidipped trim pieces as well.

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road

Never installed a radio in a car in my life. I ordered this online with premade harnesses and it was pretty much just plug and play. $150 later and 20 minutes or less sitting in the car and I now have a nice working radio that connects my iphone and pandora, etc. The bluetooth mic needs to be relocated. I can hear people fine but they can't hear me unless I talk directly into the mic.

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
996_911C2_Dhru is on a distinguished road
Definitely go for it and save your factory parts. I actually sold my old head unit and it returned some solid money. My car is not a true collectable so I wasn't really worried. Dropping in an all-in-one head unit brings your interior up to date both from aethetics and functionality. Ipod, Bluetooth, Navigation and superior sound quality. Beyond that? Expandability. You can easily add an amp and aftermarket speakers that sit behind your factory grill.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:08 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by medcap
The bluetooth mic needs to be relocated. I can hear people fine but they can't hear me unless I talk directly into the mic.
Those mic's are very directional and noise canceling... Pointing them right at your face is important.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:37 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sepman1
Reputable installer will do the whole install - including parts and labor around 2,200.

Claims that for around $300 he can reverse it to stock if needed.

Question is -

Will this hinder (or help) the sale of this vehicle in the near future if I only plan on having it for 2-3 years?
I think it probably helps a tiny bit on resale vs. the crappy OEM radio, but nowhere near your $2,000 investment. In three years, it will likely be a bit obsolete.

I have no idea if my GPS/Audio upgrades will help or hurt if I ever decide to sell, but I kept all the stock components and can put it back to factory configuration in a few hours tops...

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
If you want bluetooth, you are out of luck with PCM 2.0 because in the U.S. these units did not have the phone buttons. I would just replace the unit with an aftermarket one of your choice. I went with a Kenwood DNX-9990HD and couldn't be happier. Keep the oem nav unit just in case you want to sell it later and the buyer wants everything oem!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It will totally depend on the prospective buyers who look at the car. I would never buy a Porsche that had any electrical wiring modifications. However, if you did a top-drawer install, like some of the photos above, you will probably be fine.