996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Blown cooling system hoses with pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
Blown cooling system hoses with pictures

Had a massive blow out in the engine bay and coolant sprayed everywhere. Poured some distilled water into the expansion tank and fluid immediately started to drip out. Luckily I was able to find where the coolant was dripping out of visually and started to take things apart. At first I thought it was just dripping from the clamped hose area. After I pulled the hose off there was a huge tear in the hose which explains all the coolant that sprayed all over the engine bay.

After changing out the hose and refilling the expansion tank with distilled water I turned on the car and let it idle for a while. Only problem is that there is white smoke still coming out of the engine bay. I sprayed some simple green in the engine bay and rinsed with water. I let the car cool down a bit and afterwards check the coolant level and all seems the same level as before so for now it doesn't look like there is fluid leaking (fingers crossed and knock on wood lol. Need to grab a pressure tester and make sure before I feel comfortable taking it out on a drive again...lol. Some pictures below:

Attached Images     
Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
glad you caught it in time, these motors do not like to be ran hot, hell no motor likes to be ran hot...lol

Old 08-18-2013, 04:23 PM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
you might want to open the burp valve . you may have gotten some air in the system.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:22 PM
how do you open the burp valve?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 AM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by medcap
how do you open the burp valve?
the valve is next to the coolant cap . to open it ,twist the metal clip vertical . leave it open for a couple of cycles .

Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
You're missing an alternator bolt...

Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by jacabean
the valve is next to the coolant cap . to open it ,twist the metal clip vertical . leave it open for a couple of cycles .
Thanks, when you say a couple of cycles how long are each of those?