996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

brake warning light is on...

Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Bill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura about
brake warning light is on...

Hey all-

Don't flame me too much here! But my brakes look great (2003 C4 Cab) on all 4 corners. Plenty of pad, rotors are true. But now the brake light service comes on.

I searched here and see that "if the sensors are triggered, replace"... what is that about? I also have a '71 911, and a '99 Audi, so not brand new to the German game.

And what would trigger them when I have so much life left on these pads and rotors? Fluid is good too....

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Maybe a sensor jiggled loose on the pads.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It could be worn brakes. If the sensor wears through the plastic so it has metal contact on the rotor, it will activate the light. It could also happen because of a faulty connection. Mine used to do this after a carwash. It could also be a faulty sensor.

How sure are you that the rotors and pads are good?

Old 08-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Bill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura about
I will check the sensors. I also had the light come on after washing the car for a bit. But this is the first time that its stayed on. I did a pretty good job scrubbing the wheels this last wash, and might have shaken something loose. I am pretty sure the pads and rotors are good since the pads have at least 80% of the pad left... But I do see a round piece of metal (on all the calipers) that looks like it wants to rub into the rotor...? Time for more research.. Thanks all!