996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What do do with old cats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 PM
SpeedYeller is on a distinguished road
What do do with old cats?

Hi all, just looking for some advice for what to do with the old stock catalytic converters that I removed from my 996. One is good and one rattles, i was going to sell to a metal recycler but not sure about fair pricing given the rare metals inside...comments?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Make a cool coffee table for the man cave.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
RWDC4 is on a distinguished road
Google - there will be a recycler in your zip happy to take 'em off your hands in exchange for a few bucks.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Have them cremated and put on the mantel.......

Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Surprised I haven't seen you around San Jose area. Fun color.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Recycler might give you $75 for each one. This is what I seem to recall is the general price of converters for recycling but check around for current pricing.

You can sell them to someone needing a pair of stock converters. Maybe the one with the rattle can be cut apart and internal rattle fixed (welded/brazed?) and then the outer sheet metal welded closed. Given the cost of new ones this if of course it is doable can be cheaper than buying new ones.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM
coffee table is a great idea - but absolutely not going to fly with the wife

I have recently learned that the recyclers in the bay area are just ripping people off on a day-to-day basis...changing the prices they pay out daily...which i why I posted this!

Just so I have a data point or two telling me it's worth a certain amount so I can hold out for that.

I was under the impression I could get about a hundred out of each? maybe more?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
Recycler might give you $75 for each one. This is what I seem to recall is the general price of converters for recycling but check around for current pricing.

You can sell them to someone needing a pair of stock converters. Maybe the one with the rattle can be cut apart and internal rattle fixed (welded/brazed?) and then the outer sheet metal welded closed. Given the cost of new ones this if of course it is doable can be cheaper than buying new ones.
Thanks Macster! exactly what I was looking for...yeah, I will likely hold on to them in case someone needs them rather than recycling to scrap...

Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by B8_RDC
Surprised I haven't seen you around San Jose area. Fun color.
I'm around usually zipping up/down 280 from Santa Clara -> North

It wasn't my first color choice but it has definitely grown on me in the last 3 years...Thanks!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Cuda911 will become famous soon enough
I just put in an entire header to exhaust tip Fabspeed system in, too. So, I have the exact same as you... two cats, one with rattles.

I'd be happy to get $50 or $75 each. Or, if someone needs a pair, they can buy one from you and one from me!

I also replaces all 4 02 sensors. The old ones were fine... any value in them?

Last edited by Cuda911; 08-29-2013 at 08:27 PM.