996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Starter replacing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:27 AM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Starter replacing?

The engine turns real slow before it starts in the morning. Then when the engine is warm its even slower to start. I have been reading some posts about slow starts and 3 thinks have been coming up.
1) old battery
2) corroded wires/update wire harness
3) bad alternator/starter

Since I bought the car it always had the slow start. Just recently had the slow start when the car was warm. It has never done this before. It always started slow no matter what temperature the car was in.

Personally, I have a god feeling is the starter, if so I'm looking to replace it. I have found a link on pelican parts web site that gives a step by step process and it seems pretty straight forward.

If I replace the starter I will also replace the wire harness. With the updated version.

I have a question about the starters on the pelicans parts web site. There are 2 starters for a 2000 carrera.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ELswch_pg3.htm
Part number 996-604-103-00 and SR-0808-N-M14. There is significant difference in price, so my question is whats the difference? Cause $1100 for a starter seems a little crazy.

Tomorrow I'm going to check for corroded wires an old battery. But since its been doing the same slow start for a over year now I'm leaning towards the starter. If any one has had the slow start issue before can you tell me how you fixed? And if you did have to change the starter which one did you use?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
You may also want to check your alternator as it may not be charging the battery. Since you haven't replaced the started yet, you may as well trouble-shoot everything that could be the culprit causing your slow (weak) starts. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Do you have a voltmeter? That's the place to start.

These three things combined with your symptoms will tell you quite a bit about the health of battery, alternator, and starter.
  • Voltage at battery, not running.
  • Voltage at battery, running.
  • Voltage at starter when cranking.

If you don't have a voltmeter, I'd at least pick up a cheap one (less than $10 in one
here here
) before buying any parts...

Here's a link to a Bosch Starter Troubleshooting article giving you some voltage values for reference.

In general though, a slow-spinning starter is a voltage issue, not a starter issue.

Last edited by pfbz; 08-24-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 AM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys I have solved the problems all I needed was a new battery. The starter turns over fine now.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Good to hear that the battery was the issue!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST