996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Coilover DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
Coilover DIY

Guys, anyone know of a DIY where you don't have to take the suspension knuckle off?

This DIY for a turbo seems like a lot of work to take out a strut/spring set especially in the front. http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/e.../photo_26.html

Are there other methods that were successful taking out while leaving caliper/rotor, etc in place? I prefer to just manipulate the wheel whether turning the steering wheel or whatever to get clearance to pull out strut. I don't mind it scraping the inner wheel well.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM
mlandingin177 is on a distinguished road
Hope this helps.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-included.html

I am planning on doing the same this weekend.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 AM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Did my C2 a few months ago... Link above is a good reference. Pelican also has a somewhat different method, outlined here.

To get the front strut assembly out, you will need to either push down on the wheel assembly to gain a bit of extra clearance (first link method) or loosen bolts in the suspension (pelican method).

Overall it was a pretty easy job. once you have the car on jackstands and the wheels off, probably 30 minutes or less a corner doing it the first time. Air wrench made the top strut nut trivial to remove. You will need an alignment afterwords... Recommend GT3 spec's or as close as you can get to it (more camber, less toe than C2 spec).

My '04 C2 after swapping stock for H&R springs... Definitely fixed the US ride height issue and greatly improved handling.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
If pushing down on knuckle and not removing it, I recommend putting a few layers of masking tape around the top of your wheel opening to prevent accidental scratching too.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 AM
BLAU DRM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pfbz
Looks great....hmmmmmm..

Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLAU DRM
Looks great....hmmmmmm..
I would have to agree. Great looking shot too.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Looks great....hmmmmmm..
I would have to agree. Great looking shot too.
Thanks! Very happy with how it turned out.

No doubt coil-overs are a top-notch solution, but it's really hard to beat a $300 set of h&r springs on your stock struts & shocks in bang-for-the-buck...

Easily available, including from the sponsor listed on post up! (link to springs)

If pushing down on knuckle and not removing it, I recommend putting a few layers of masking tape around the top of your wheel opening to prevent accidental scratching too.
I used a towel tucked into the frunk on top and taped to the wheel liner on the bottom. With two people (one to press down on the knuckle, one to maneuver the strut) it's pretty easy. With one person, use the town as you are using both hands on the strut and one foot on the knuckle all at the same time, more difficult to manage. Not sure if masking tape would have been enough had one of the studs from the strut hit the paint the wrong way, but definitely the right idea...

Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pfbz
I used a towel tucked into the frunk on top and taped to the wheel liner on the bottom. With two people (one to press down on the knuckle, one to maneuver the strut) it's pretty easy. With one person, use the town as you are using both hands on the strut and one foot on the knuckle all at the same time, more difficult to manage. Not sure if masking tape would have been enough had one of the studs from the strut hit the paint the wrong way, but definitely the right idea...
I used the towel method but I did it myself so masking tape was used as a backup in addition to the towel. I tell guys that any cheap backup is better than paying for new paint job. I had a friend that just to,d me he washed his clay bar after dropping it on the floor on his new Audi.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by mlandingin177
Hope this helps.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-included.html

I am planning on doing the same this weekend.
Yes, this is what I was looking for thank you!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by medcap
Yes, this is what I was looking for thank you!
No Prob.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Let us know how the project goes and some pics when done - love pics!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-31-2013, 02:26 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The DIY you were looking at is for a Turbo and on 4 wheel dices the front drive shafts prevent you from pushing the suspension down far enough to cleat the front fender so you have to remove the shaft and loosen the ball joints. On a C2 this is not necessary. The rears are much easier.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Just completed the coilover install. Project wasnt too bad. Took about 4-5 hours and 2 people. I think we spent most of our time trying to jack up the rear. (Please don't mind the messy garage)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	276960  
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Nice, very inspiring. Trying to get a buddy to hook me up with a set from his performance store. So many options. What kind of coilovers did you get?