996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cruising Around Revs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 PM
AA717driver is on a distinguished road
Cruising Around Revs

The discussion Howi started, notwithstanding, is it ok to do daily driving in the 2000-3000 rpm range?

It seems pretty comfortable but does this motor need more revs to be happy?

Thanks in advance.

TC

ETA: I also am looking at the oil pressure gauge to judge when the engine is really warmed up. I get a higher reading after I fire it up but after about 15 min. of driving the pressure settles down in the "3" range under normal loads. Thoughts?

Last edited by AA717driver; 08-31-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
There is no "best". Many of us us the don't shift above 4,000 rpm's until warm. Afterwards, your choice is the best one. I don't shft above 4,000 until warm and afterwards I don't shift below 4,000 rpm.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
once the engine is up to normal temp, everything depends on the mood I'm in
I like the sound of 7000 rpms

Old 09-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks!

TC

Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AA717driver
The discussion Howi started, notwithstanding, is it ok to do daily driving in the 2000-3000 rpm range?

It seems pretty comfortable but does this motor need more revs to be happy?

Thanks in advance.

TC

ETA: I also am looking at the oil pressure gauge to judge when the engine is really warmed up. I get a higher reading after I fire it up but after about 15 min. of driving the pressure settles down in the "3" range under normal loads. Thoughts?
It depends somewhat on the gear the tranny is in and the terrain.

On relatively flat ground I cruise at 2K (but not below and most of the time a bit higher than 2K) in lower gears but in higher gears I prefer the revs be a bit higher yet. Closer to if not at 3K.

If hard acceleration is called for I downshift, too.

In the mountains unless I can cruise at say 75mph or a bit faster I'll down shift to 5th and cruise in 5th gear. The engine (oh a 996 Turbo) pulls ok in 6th but I just like to see a bit more RPMs when climbing "steep" grades, especially since often this is done at thousands of feet above sea level and the engine can be feeling the effects of this though often when I check the engine is making 0.1 or more boost, sometimes depending upon where I am (I-40 west of Flagstaff for example) making this boost for miles and miles as the car climbs up towards the continental divide and its 7700+ feet above sea level elevation.

Now on my commute on I-580 from Livermore CA to the east bay and back again I cross the coast range mountains -- the max elevation is around 1K feet -- and on the upgrade I shift to 5th. The speed limit is 65mph and often it is not possible to go this speed let alone faster. 5th gear lets the engine rev a bit higher.

On other freeways/highways in more mountainous terrain often the speed limit is 75mph and I can often drive 5mph over so unless I run into traffic and have to slow I stay in 6th gear. If I have to pass though I downshift to 5th.

If the speed limit or road conditions require a slower speed I pick a gear that has the RPMs around 3K though sometimes a bit lower (but not less than 2.5K) is ok if the gear is say 3rd gear).

Now a NA engine in the mountains might require a lower gear. My only other Porsche experience is with my 02 Boxster. However, my 02 Boxster under the same conditions as the Turbo handles the mountains just fine in 5th gear (its highest gear). This is due in part to the engine turning faster. In fact most high speed (legal high speed) cruising is done in 5th gear at around 3K rpms.

The bottom line is to avoid running the RPMs too low in too high a gear.

Another consideration: For engines with VarioCam Plus (my Turbo) I like to avoid using the engine below 2K as below 2K this is RPM range in which the "Plus" feature is activated, that is low lift is activated. By running above the triggering RPM threshold I avoid subjecting this hardware to wear and tear. In first gear I'll drive the car under 2K rpms (but not below 1K) and let the VarioCam Plus system do whatever the DME commands and think nothing of it.

As for oil pressure: Different engines with different oils and different oil pressure gages with different levels of accuracy run at different oil pressures. A general rule of thumb is a bar per 1K RPM, so in the case of your car, 3bar is ok a 3K RPMs. The newer DFI engines with variable oil pressure run at this all day long is what I hear from the techs. While initially the oil pressure jumps up it drops down as the engine speed settles to a steady speed. Engines are over oiled with the old fashioned oiling system.

Some engines run the oil pressure a bit higher -- at least based on the reading by the questionable gage -- but no one knows for sure what the actual oil pressure is unless he has fitted an oil pressure gage that taps directly into the main oil galley. As long as at hot idle the low oil pressure light doesn't come on the engine is ok. If it comes on a higher RPMs if the loss of oil pressure is real by the time you can react chances are high the engine's toast.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Macster--Thanks. NA 996 and I'm comfortable cruising in flat territory between 2-3k around 40-50 mph.

The oil pressure stays way high--4-5 on the gauge (5 being pegged out) until the engine is well warmed up. I'm going to take it to the local indy mech and have a precautionary oil change done with an inspection.

As always, thanks for sharing your experience all!

TC

Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Depends on what kind of mood I'm in Usually keep it 3k or under until warm, then mostly between 4500 and 6000. I can tool around town and never take it out of third if I want to.