996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Carrera 2 - Ideal Wheel and Tire sizes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM
B Fett is on a distinguished road
Carrera 2 - Ideal Wheel and Tire sizes

Hey guys, brand new Porsche owner - I'll have pics and everything up soon.

I am buying a car that is going to need tires right off the bat, Looking to get some Dunlop Direzza ZIIs - Use these on my current car and I really like them, very grippy.

They come in either 225/40/18 or 235/40/18 for the front but just 285/40/18 for the rear (no 295 size).

So - if I were to go 225/40/18 with 285/40/18 what size wheels would you run (width & offset)?

Is 235 fronts a better width for more aggressive driving?

Also, I like an aggressive look, wheels and tire just at the body line, with some negative camber to have them tuck into the fender wells at the top. What would be the ideal offset to run for this?

I am looking to keep weight down on the wheels, and I will be using the car for fun street driving as well as autocross and HPDE events. Car is stock height right now but I may get some Coilovers or springs/dampers in the future. So it won't be slammed, it will be very functional on height. Basically, it is going to be driven like it was supposed to.

I come form the Import world where there is choices aplenty so I am a bit out of my element here haha.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the group. The best answer is to start with the wheels that are on the car. Next try a search on the tire question as it is covered extensively herein. The quick answer is Michelin works perfectly on these cars. Try that search option though as there are hundreds of posts on this very tire question. Porsche engineers do a great deal of testing before putting tires/wheels on these cars - you, me and everyone else herein can postulate opinions but that won't change what the engineers designed the cars and suspensions to work best with.

Last edited by denversteve; 09-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Porsche recommends a 225 width for the front tires. Adding width takes away steering feel. I'd suggest spacers to push the tires out towards the body rather than wider tires. As for the rears, lots of people run 285 width on narrow body cars. You should be fine with that.

Like Steve, I'm also a big fan of Michelin tires on the 996. They work very well. One thing to consider though - the 996 is typically set up with negative camber from the factory. With the factory settings, rear tires last ~10K miles. If you have so much negative camber that your rears tuck under the fender on the top, then you will probably get far fewer miles from a set of tires - maybe 5K miles?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Is something like this what you have in mind, or maybe not quite so low?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	593.5 KB
ID:	277281  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Welcome to the 6 Look forward to seeing your beast.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Porsche recommends a 225 width for the front tires. Adding width takes away steering feel. I'd suggest spacers to push the tires out towards the body rather than wider tires. As for the rears, lots of people run 285 width on narrow body cars. You should be fine with that.

Like Steve, I'm also a big fan of Michelin tires on the 996. They work very well. One thing to consider though - the 996 is typically set up with negative camber from the factory. With the factory settings, rear tires last ~10K miles. If you have so much negative camber that your rears tuck under the fender on the top, then you will probably get far fewer miles from a set of tires - maybe 5K miles?
The Pilot Sport Cups or PS2s are nice, but I really like the Direzza ZII's, amazing grip and feel.

I didn't want to run spacers as I don't want to change out all of my wheels studs, and I will be doing some hard driving/track work.

How much negative camber does the 996 run from factory?

Originally Posted by denversteve
Welcome to the group. The best answer is to start with the wheels that are on the car. Next try a search on the tire question as it is covered extensively herein. The quick answer is Michelin works perfectly on these cars. Try that search option though as there are hundreds of posts on this very tire question.
I was more asking about the offset and width opposed to tires, I guess I should have staged the questions better.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Is something like this what you have in mind, or maybe not quite so low?
The fronts look good to me on that car, but the rears are a bit too much. I would want to run less camber and the wheel sticks out a bit too much.

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Welcome to the 6 Look forward to seeing your beast.
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 PM
blown996 is on a distinguished road
If you're going to track the car, go with 235's up front, helps to cut down on under steer. I like 295's in the back also.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by B Fett
I didn't want to run spacers as I don't want to change out all of my wheels studs, and I will be doing some hard driving/track work.
The 996 uses wheel bolts rather than studs, so spacers (wider than 3mm) just require longer lug bolts.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by blown996
If you're going to track the car, go with 235's up front, helps to cut down on under steer. I like 295's in the back also.
Thanks, I think I may go that route.

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
The 996 uses wheel bolts rather than studs, so spacers (wider than 3mm) just require longer lug bolts.
Ah, good to know!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 PM
OEM wheel spacers use the existing bolts to attach to the hub. They have studs that require lug nuts. Porsche sells them.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 AM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
It's 285/30-18 for the rear, not 285/40, assuming stock optional 18"s on the car. As mentioned, 225/40-18 is stock for front, but 235/40 would work, as the difference is very small. Always remember that because a tire is great on one car, that's not always the case for another, especially if going from FWD to RWD, and totally different aspect ratios. Sidewall stiffness changes completely. I don't know anything about the Direzza IIs. The Pilot Super Sport has gotten rave reviews from 996/997 owners.