996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Turbo rear tail and trunk lid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
996 Turbo rear tail and trunk lid

Guys, any one put a complete 996 turbo rear trunk lid and hydraulic spoiler onto a 996 C2 narrow body?

I only see one connector and wondering if it's simply plug and play to attached a turbo rear to a C2 rear.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The turbo deck lid is longer and wider than the narrow body deck lid. It can be modified to fit a C2, but it takes significant cutting and modification. The only one that I've ever seen didn't look good. It sat in the wrong position after the modification. You're better off buying an aftermarket deck lid with a spoiler if you want that look.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
As mentioned, it does not fit a narrow body.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
thanks guys, i guess i will just have to buy a turbo if i want that look. i just enjoy my c2 so much and the n/a motor

Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
It is easier if you decide to do a fixed wing position since you do not have to move around things in the engine bay. I did the swap on my 2002 Cab.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:50 AM
carcster88 is on a distinguished road
I got me a GT-2 look add on. Worked for me. Hope this helps.
t

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Rixc4s is on a distinguished road
How about install ion C4S?

Understand Turbo lid and wing won't practically fit on narrow body - how about wide body C4S. Any install advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Holdem will become famous soon enough
Requires cutting 2+" from bottom, 1/8"+ from both sides, & <1/8" from top edge for the cabriolet. Latch must be reattached (glued/glassed/etc)as well. Hinges require a little modification and adjustments. Hydraulics will not fit without making room in the engine compartment.

I am in the process of modifying this turbo deck lid(cut a little long for finish and fitment) on this 04 996 C2 NB Cab. Also pictured is an OEM 996 Turbo rear bumper (not yet modified in the wheel well area), C4 exhaust pipe extensions and tips.

The orange wing is an OEM 997 (not in place yet). Going to fab stainless tube and mounting plates for a fixed wing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PCarR1.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	290417   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCarR2.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	290418   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCarR3.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	290419   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCarSp.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	290420  
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
A turbo deck lid and wing will fit on a C4S. I would imagine that you'll have to make some slight modifications for the intake and perhaps for the spoiler, but it shouldn't be too much. It's a much easier mod than trying to put it on a narrow body car. Unfortunately, you'll have to give up the signature red reflector of the C4S.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Turbo Spoiler on C4S

Thanks, Dennis.

Regret loss of reflector but choose the turbo wing knowing it would go.

Do you have experience with this swap and have any how to advice - or referral to someone that has? Appreciate any comments.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't trust it to anyone other than a top-notch body shop. Check with the race prep shops in your area and they'll know who would be good for a perfect job.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks, Dennis. Good advice. I talk with Midwest Eurosport tuner/racer in Bensenville, IL - been in biz for 20+ years. They said they would do the install and let me take it whereever for paint. That's my plan at this time.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 PM
sanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
A turbo deck lid and wing will fit on a C4S. I would imagine that you'll have to make some slight modifications for the intake and perhaps for the spoiler, but it shouldn't be too much. It's a much easier mod than trying to put it on a narrow body car. Unfortunately, you'll have to give up the signature red reflector of the C4S.
A turbo wing will not fit a C4S. The C4S decklid is approximately 2" shorter than the TT. The body panel between the rear window and the decklid is about 2" longer on the C4S and contains the third brake light whereas the third brake light is in the decklid on the TT. I tried doing the opposite and bought a C4S decklid for my turbo attempting to gain the center reflector. I have some pics of this but not on the computer I'm using right now but trust me, it's not even close. You'd have to do some major hackin' & a hewin.' I'll post a pic when I can.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Interesting information. I've heard of several people doing this, although I have no specifics. Glad to hear from somebody who has actual experience. Is it possible to change the deck lid and the brake light panel?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 AM
sanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud ofsanyata has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Interesting information. I've heard of several people doing this, although I have no specifics. Glad to hear from somebody who has actual experience. Is it possible to change the deck lid and the brake light panel?
I suppose one could replace the panel but it would require way too much money and effort with negative results IMO. The panel is not a bolted on piece and is an integral part of the body structure. In my estimate it would require removal of the rear window, engine, tranny and local interior and engine compartment components to gain access for cutting and welding. Afterward the structural integrity would be in question and the resale value of the car would be greatly diminished as well as reducing the potential buyer pool. In my estimate this would be a $5-6k job unless you are a very skilled body person yourself.

You could do what Holdem has done but it just doesn’t look proper or correct. The lower lid indentation line doesn’t match up with the brake light lens as it should and the spoiler section sits far too low. It looks like a disjointed misfit. At least it is easily reversible by removal and reinstalling the original lid. Sorry Holdem, I mean no disrespect and just giving my honest opinion. It does look like your craftsmanship is excellent.

I started a project to fit the C4S lower center reflector section to a Turbo lid. I stalled because I need to find a donor lens itself. One that is broken or cracked so I can use it for fitting while doing the fiberglass work and not worry about buggering it up. Anyone got one? Alas, I just found an oem GT2 decklid so now I’m going in that direction. I still might do the project just for fun unless someone wants the turbo decklid.

I think the C4S with its oem decklid is the best looking 996 body bar none. If I had one or was able to fit the lid to the Turbo I would go with the Techart Type II wing. That is what I was going with if I finished my project. I think it looks perfect for the C4S. Yes it is pricey but once you consider all the work and cost of trying to fit a Turbo lid it starts to look pretty good. Plus it is reversible and can be resold.

I attached pics of the fitment mismatch of the C4S vs. Turbo lid; my project start; and Techart Type II wing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	c4s lid1.jpg
Views:	1640
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	293772

Name:	c4s lid2.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	293773

Name:	techart.jpg
Views:	3840
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	293774

Last edited by sanyata; 11-10-2013 at 07:29 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo rear tail and trunk lid