996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Winter tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 PM
jbs80122 is on a distinguished road
Winter tire recommendations

The daytime temps in Denver are still in the 90s these days, but change is in the air. Since my car is a C4, the handling should be OK in the winter except for the really snowy days, but that's why I have my truck.

What can you guys recommend for winter tires on a 2002 C4?

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I use Bridgestone Blizzaks on my C4S. The work very well.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Conti DWS's are good. They handle wet and cold very well and will do alright in a little snow. Blizzaks are a better snow tire though.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The same thing the factory does - Michelin. My last 5 cars have been Porsches here in Colorado. I've driven several and Michelin Pilot Sports can't be beat. That said, I've currently have Bridgestone Potenza S-02's on the Carerra (great looking and great performance) and currently on my Cayenne Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. All work great for the amount of snow our Porsches are going to be let out in.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM
AA717driver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by denversteve
The same thing the factory does - Michelin. My last 5 cars have been Porsches here in Colorado. I've driven several and Michelin Pilot Sports can't be beat. That said, I've currently have Bridgestone Potenza S-02's on the Carerra (great looking and great performance) and currently on my Cayenne Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. All work great for the amount of snow our Porsches are going to be let out in.

IMO, high performance rubber plus snow turns any car I know into a static display.

I've got a C4 so that may be a different story. I'd love for that to be the case but I've got Tire Rack on speed dial for the first precip in Nov.

TC

ETA: I've had Potenzas on a couple of cars in the past and they were damn near undriveable in moderate rain. Not impressed.

Last edited by AA717driver; 09-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AA717driver
I've had Potenzas on a couple of cars in the past and they were damn near undriveable in moderate rain. Not impressed.
This is correct. Disregard my comment on the Potenzas for snow. My brain jumped the track and forgot we were discussing wet. They are great tires but they don't see more than light rain (which is about all we get in Colorado).

Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I use N-spec Michelin Latitude Alpins on my Cayenne, and they're great. I'm having trouble finding the current list of Porsche approved winter tires for the C4S. The latest TSB that I can find recommends the Pirelli Winter Sport 240, but you can't find this tire at any dealers. Nobody seems to carry Michelins in the proper sizes either. I'm leaning towards Blizzaks again.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by AA717driver

IMO, high performance rubber plus snow turns any car I know into a static display.

I've got a C4 so that may be a different story.
It won't be a different story. The AWD system in the 996 C4 and C4S uses a viscous coupling to drive the front wheels. It always sends 5% of the power to the front and it can send as much as 40% of the power to the front. The kicker is that is will only send power to the front if there is a differential in speed between the front wheels and the rear. This differential causes friction in the viscous coupling, which causes the fluid to become more dense and then drive the wheels. If the differential in speed is because the rear wheels are slipping, then the PSM kicks in and brakes the rear wheels to keep them from spinning. This essentially stops any additional transfer of power to the front wheels.

The 996 AWD system was designed for improved traction on dry surfaces. When cornering, there is a speed differential between the front and rear wheels. This is when the AWD system kicks in, allowing for better grip in corners. The C4S was four seconds faster around The Ring than the C2 in Porsche's testing, even though its slightly heavier.

So... The AWD 996 doesn't offer much of an improvement in terms of snow traction. You still need winter tires!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:36 AM
AA717driver is on a distinguished road
Thanks Dennis. Not an engineering type so that's nice to know.

Steve--I've had good luck with Blizzaks (on Lexus') but a friend swears by some obscure Finnish tires on his 335i. I've got Conti's now but the Porsche guys at the coffee shop advise Michelin Pilot Sports for dry when these die.

Another "feature" of Potenzas is that the compound seems slightly less durable than a pencil eraser. Maybe the operator had a hand in that...

Tim C.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
The obscure Finnish tires are probably Nokians. I used their Hakkapeliitta tires on my old Saabs and they were great. I don't think they are available in the right sizes for Porsche.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Sl3ipner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C
The obscure Finnish tires are probably Nokians. I used their Hakkapeliitta tires on my old Saabs and they were great. I don't think they are available in the right sizes for Porsche.
Having just joined the Norwegean Porsche Club Ive noticed that the Nokia Hakkapeliitta are much used and recommended here. Dont know about the sizes but I will have a closer look when time is right.

Regards