996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 PM
jrthe1 is on a distinguished road
Oil Overfill

I know this has been covered before. I read the posts. I topped up my oil level after a fresh oil change wanting to get it exactly full......without my glasses on and trying to read clean oil on the dipstick and screwed up. I added 12 oz. of oil or .375 quart. Now my oil gauge is on the top bar and oil level on the dipstick is just above full when checked cold. I know some say not to worry it will burn off but this really bothers me. It does not smoke although I haven't driven it hard since topping up.

What is the best way to remove the excess oil:
1. pull the reattach filter and recheck, pull again if necessary until level is correct.
2. remove the drain plug briefly if possible and put back in.
3. use a topsider or drill pump tube down the dipstick.

I would be using a local shop with a lift that is not a Porsche guy but would be able to do this better than I. I do not have a new crush washer or oil filter o ring. I would have to reuse each for 1 and 2 above. Big question, If I try 2 above can I back out the plug just enough to get a trickle going without the deluge with the plug out? 02 Carrera Cab.

All thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2013, 04:48 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
cleanest to use a hose and hand pump. you can get one for $5 at auto supply store. they are often used to fill differentials. you will need a longer hose

you can drain some oil from either drain plug or filter. either will end up pretty messy. the drain plug requires a hex key which makes it harder to control as you drain a little. you may end up cross threading as you try to do this in a haste, which would be bad. if you are very good with your hands and rather not get a hose, this is fine. just do it with engine oil COLD so you don't burn yourself.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:14 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Ok, let's look

Before we decide what to do here we should go back to some basics with the electronic measure guage. Each one of those bars represents 1/16 of a quart, is this an inaccurate measurement at best, the dip stick is your best friend.
So, back to your situation, pulling the filter off and/or opening the plug creats messy problems: you will not be able to use the same filter, you will have to change the plug and washer. So what I would do is take her out for a little drive, no heavy revving or speed, and see what the dip stick says after that. If you are only 1/16 of a quart high, no worries.

PM me if you need more info, I have been there.

Jim

Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM
jrthe1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses. I posted as well on Rennlist and used one of their ideas: " Get about 5 feet of 1/4 inch plastic tubing, a mason jar and a shop vac. Drill two 1/4 inch holes in the lid of the mason jar. Put the tubing into one of the holes. Put the other end of the tube down in the dipstick tube. Put shop vac hose over other hole. Turn on shop vac and get comfortable. Took about 15 minutes to remove a half quart. But. No mess or worries about washers etc."

It worked but took longer than as expected which I considered my penance for not being observant in the first place.

Problem solved. Happy camper.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
haha clever solution but definitely not as ideal in practice. my hand pump works better i think.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM
DTMiller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jrthe1
Thanks for the responses. I posted as well on Rennlist and used one of their ideas: " Get about 5 feet of 1/4 inch plastic tubing, a mason jar and a shop vac. Drill two 1/4 inch holes in the lid of the mason jar. Put the tubing into one of the holes. Put the other end of the tube down in the dipstick tube. Put shop vac hose over other hole. Turn on shop vac and get comfortable. Took about 15 minutes to remove a half quart. But. No mess or worries about washers etc."

It worked but took longer than as expected which I considered my penance for not being observant in the first place.

Problem solved. Happy camper.
You're welcome!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
soreshoulder is on a distinguished road
I did this today in my '99. Something had my brain thinking that it required 12 quarts, so I put two full 5 quart jugs of 0W40 Mobil One in it before realizing that I was a dumb***. (Caught the oil on sale at Wal Mart for $21/ jug). I used the "lets try the drain plug" method and luckily I think I stopped it just about right, but I was beginning to panic there for a minute. I had to move the drain pan in my panic to get more room to get the plug back in, and took a bath in oil before it was all over. Luckily the cut up cardboard refrigerator boxes I always lay on for oil changes kept the majority of it off the driveway.

Last edited by soreshoulder; 09-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.