996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Removed passenger seat. Airbag failure light is on. Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM
xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
Removed passenger seat. Airbag failure light is on. Help?

Hey guys,

I removed the passenger seat today to make room for something on an upcoming trip. Everything went well, but when I started the car, I get the "airbag failure" error on the ODO.

I am searching for more information, but since this is urgent (trip is tomorrow!), I posted this thread so someone can help me.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
I believe the passenger seat has a weight sensor to help prevent airbag deployment with a child seat, so it's tied in to the SRS system. Any component removed from the system with the ignition on can trigger a fault. Also, once an SRS fault is triggered, I don't think it will ever reset itself even if you correct the problem... Must be reset with the dealer computer or equivalent through the OBD2 port.

That said, I don't think it will effect the drivability of the car, though not sure if the airbags would or would not deploy in an accident.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Reinstall the seatbelt receiver portion and use Durametric to reset the light.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM
wmiranda is on a distinguished road
When you get it reset.. try this:

http://www.airbagonoff.com/drive_pass_airbag_switch.asp

Or.. I believe you can fool the sensor with a 2.9 ohm 1/4W resistor in place of the airbag.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Benni is on a distinguished road
Very likely a loose connection on the passenger belt buckle receptacle. According to what I've read your airbag will still work, just an annoying dash light. If the connection isn't loose it has likely failed. They are a known problem and a fairly easy fix - just replace it. A new receptacle is ~$80 and it's possible removing the seat pushed it over the edge as they can fail at any time. Hope it helps!