996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 996 Fluids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:45 PM
dinicor is on a distinguished road
Porsche 996 Fluids

Hi Guys:

New to the forum... And to Porsche actually. Picked up a Carrera 4 Cabriolet about a month ago. Thrilled... so far!

Question about the fluids... brake fluid, coolant, power steering.... Is there anything different about these fluids that my local parts jobber wouldn't handle as opposed to going to the dealership?

Coolant appears to be standard stuff, so does brake fluid, but perhaps the power steering is Porsche specific?

Appreciate any feedback. Looking forward to years of enjoyment with my car and on the site!!

Thanks!!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dinicor
Hi Guys: Coolant appears to be standard stuff, so does brake fluid, but perhaps the power steering is Porsche specific?

Appreciate any feedback. Looking forward to years of enjoyment with my car and on the site!!

Thanks!!
Welcome to the forum. THERE'S NOTHING "STANDARD STUFF" ABOUT THE FLUIDS.... Don't mix coolant types in this car or you can have severe issues. Make sure the "approved Porsche fluids" are used along with excellent oil. To that end, I always have fluids changed at the dealership to avoid mishaps. I don't know what your "parts jobber" is but make sure that your "dude" is extremely knowledgeable with Porsche needs and isn't saying "this is good ..." You need proper products.

Last edited by denversteve; 09-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dinicor
Question about the fluids... brake fluid, coolant, power steering.... Is there anything different about these fluids that my local parts jobber wouldn't handle as opposed to going to the dealership?
Agree with Steve... While the fluids aren't anything you can't source at a quality import or pro auto parts store, they definitely aren't 'generic' or the stuff you will see on the shelf at a typical consumer-oriented auto parts store.

Your owners manual should list the all the fluid specifications, but some of them have likely been superseded since your manual was printed

Coolant is definitely not your average variety. Pentosin Pentofrost SF meets the specs. My ORielly's auto parts actually stocks this stuff, but they keep it in the back out of sight.

Brake fluid is standard DOT 4, but most prefer a higher temp variety like ATE super blue.

Power steering hydraulic fluid is also not conventional. Pentosin CHF 202 meets the specs... Again, available at my local Autozone but NOT out on the shelves.

You'll find countless opinions on the best manual transmission oil and engine oil, do a search if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

PS: Pictures of your new car are customary!

Last edited by pfbz; 09-30-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 AM
mhenry24 is on a distinguished road
Just FYI ATE Super Blue is becoming near impossible to find in stores. The government in all it's wisdom is banning blue brake fluid. So that leaves us with just ATE Yellow.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Agree with Steve, use only Porsche Approved fluids. Look, most dealers run specials on BrakeFlushes, Oil Changes, and Radiator flushes. Mine rus them monthly at $99.99 each.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mhenry24
Just FYI ATE Super Blue is becoming near impossible to find in stores. The government in all it's wisdom is banning blue brake fluid. So that leaves us with just ATE Yellow.
They aren't banning blue brake fluid. It was being manufactured in violation of federal requirements which included blue die in the brake fluid.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:35 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
And this is a perfect example of why we need a strong over reaching government, to make sure blue dye isn't added to brake fluid!

Originally Posted by denversteve
They aren't banning blue brake fluid. It was being manufactured in violation of federal requirements which included blue die in the brake fluid.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
And this is a perfect example of why we need a strong over reaching government, to make sure blue dye isn't added to brake fluid!
Or manufacturer's who can follow regulations.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Okcporsche is on a distinguished road
My fluid/oil changes run 100, well worth avoiding problems!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
dinicor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the geart info guys!

Yeah, at this point I'm just looking to have the stuff on hand for possible top-ups. So that's why I was wondering if I needed to get the stuff specifically from Porsche.

Any full flushes I'll have done by the dealer or a good Porsche indy.

Pics to come...

Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Hadn't realized Ate Super Blue was becoming difficult to get...

Ate Typ 200 Ate Typ 200
(aka 'super gold') I is identical except for the blue coloring.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
It only took the gubment over 12 years to realize there is brake fluid that is blue and spent 2.75 million dollars of our money to investigate it and put and end to its sales.

I hear they are gonna spend more than that to get Royal Purple off the shelves too.

After that, they will be targeting clear Kool Aid just so kids don't accidentally drink sugary drinks on accident.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
... and spent 2.75 million dollars of our money to investigate it and put and end to its sales.
I would like to read the documented evidence of that. Where exactly did you read it? Please cite the source. Here is what occurred as released by the Associated Press on 8/24/13......
"...company is recalling about 488,000 units of brake fluid because its color is wrong. Each type of brake fluid has a color requirement so it can be identified. The brake fluid being recalled is blue, rather than in the range of colorless to amber that is required.

According to documents posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website, Continental Aftermarket GMBH is recalling some ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid because it could be misidentified and improperly mixed in the braking system. Highway safety officials say that could lead to brake damage or failure."

Last edited by denversteve; 10-01-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by denversteve
I would like to read the documented evidence of that. Where exactly did you read it? Please cite the source.

I was joking but seriously quit wasting our tax dollars on fighting oil and weed distribution.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 Fluids